VW PRO 54 - 20vt drag mk2 *now a 9 second car*

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by carlg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

what difference did you find going from the 9.5:1 engine to 9:1 bam unit ?

2. carlg Forum Member

it still feels strong I guess we will see the difference once I go out on track in a couple of weeks, its going to be difficult to quantify as the compression was getting lower on the agu bottom end towards the end :thumbd:

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Cool!!! It looks like you nearly wheelied the camper can!!

4. carlg Forum Member

I think its more the tired suspension as its not really that quick lol

5. carlg Forum Member

Had an awesome weekend at bugjam last weekend dual entered in vwpro and street eliminator I qualified in both and went on to win vwpro against 25 other guys went out in round one of street eliminator (no big surprise as its a heads up class and most cars run 7's or 8's) but I did manage best reaction for first round of eliminations which won me 35 quid :) awesome weekend

6. carlg Forum Member

right so my holset is finally going on been getting bits together for it for a while but been running out of time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first target was action but i don't think it will be ready.... but I have now entered the Euro Finals so hope to have it on for then...

7. carlg Forum Member

Well its time for an update.....

HX35 fitted with a borrowed manifold, ran a 12.6 first run (without gas a PB) however it was very laggy and dropped out of boost in each gear, once boost hit it was very quick to spool and made loads of boost (too much 38 psi peak :shock: 4 Bar map sensor :yeah!: ) however it blew the head gasket on the first run, I think this was due to the head lifting after streching the stock head bolts (arp bolts arrived yesterday [:D] )

here is a pic of the borrowed manifold (off my little sisters BF who is building an A3 20vt on ms3 atm) mocked up on a spare engine

[​IMG]

here is the exhaust poking out of a spare bonnet I did this just to get the car to the track to play (had no time to do it nicely)

[​IMG]

here are a couple of pics of the head gasket also took out the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the car is in bits at the moment and I am in the process of upgrading some bits over the winter they are

tidy the engine bay and wiring

build a twinscroll manifold using the borrowed manifold as a template (have the tubes, bends and flanges and now have access to a 350a TIG welder :yeah!: )

Build and fit MS3X looking at adding VSS for both front wheels and some other bits

use the ms2 off the golf on my old Beetle project car (1985 Jubilee Bug) on a 1679cc engine i am collecting bits for, this was what i first bought the MS2 for but was scared about blowing expensive engines up :shock: if i get time i will turbo it too [:D]

here is a rubbish pic of my bug from a few years ago when i was taking the type 4 engine out to put in my camper

[​IMG]

Oh and i had a good year racing the golf with the K04 I managed a PB on road legal tyres (11.99 @ 122 with a 150 shot of gas) and managed to win my class @ Bug Jam (VW PRO) against 26 other competitors :yeah!: that event I also ran in Street Eliminator and although i got knocked out first round (which was expected as most of the class runs 7's or 8's) I managed to bag best reaction for the first round (each drive poped 5 in a pot best reaction won the pot) So I had an epic weekend [:D]

8. carlg Forum Member

Ok so time for another update, I have upgraded to a MS3x and have now got the car running with sequential spark and fuel.... it seems to start a little eaiser than the Ms2 on wasted spark and batch fuel....

i am going to use the HX35 for this season i did buy a twinscroll cast manifold however it wont fit a RHD mk2(due to the engine mount and the servo) so back to borrowing the sidemount... ;)

I have made a downpipe to fit back into my exhaust. I have taken it for the first drive and on 8 psi the screamer pipe is wayyyy too loud however once i upped the boost a bit (30 psi [:D] ) its really not noticeable over the noise of the engine i have a sync loss at 6k which was acting like a rev limiter however i am going to enable noise filtering to see if that helps if not i will open it up and play with the pots again ....

it really pulls cannot wait for the first round of racing in a few weeks :thumbup:

[​IMG]

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looks awesome how about some video of it running / screaming a bit [:D]

10. carlg Forum Member

I only have a couple of video's from when i was testing on the MS2, will be back working on the car perhaps thursday or Friday but probably will not get a huge amount done...

[video]http://vid149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/protobob/video-1443449615.mp4_zpsxvg5knfu.mp4[/video]

this one i was playing with launch control ....

[video]http://vid149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/protobob/video-1443643421.mp4%201_zpsfccc4gww.mp4[/video]

Sirguydo likes this.
  11. carlg Forum Member

I fixed the sync loss by putting a 10K resistor inline with the vr+ (between VRIN and TACHSELECT) now revs cleanly over 8k :thumbup:

oh and launch control works too

[​IMG]

Nige likes this.
  12. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

good work look forward to seeing more updates :thumbup:

13. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

That Turbo is enormous lol

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like this had a small issue at Santa Pod.

I don't know how to embed FB videos. If a mod does, feel free to edit.
    [video]http://www.facebook.com/carl.goldsmith.509/videos/10153243870960904/[/video]

[video]https://www.facebook.com/russ.smith.77398/videos/1371903726170065/[/video]

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Carl's fine, from the looks of FB, the car's already being repaired, and a spare engine is nearly ready to go in! Good work. :thumbup:

15. carlg Forum Member

Hi, Thanks I am ok the car took a bit of a hit and the slicks are buggered, I have all the bits to get the car back together for the next race in a couple of weeks lol, it looks like i found the limit of the stock pistons as the top end is really clean .... i will let some of the pics tell the story

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bit of rod in my hand was found in the other lane on the track....

Nige likes this.
  16. AjVR Forum Member

I would have thought this would be rod/oil pump failure.

How many bar of boost were you at?

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is not the rods though.
    If you look at piston 3, it certainly made a bid for freedom as it came cleanly away, leaving the piston pin behind to start the carnage!

18. carlg Forum Member

the boost was just over 30 psi with a 100 shot of nitrous, on my run prior to this i managed a 130mph terminal although with a rubbish launch 2.0 60ft (11.8 second quarter) i think i will just run the spare engine on lower boost and see how it goes..... and then perhaps build a slightly stronger engine for next season. the really annoying thing is i got a better launch on this run (1.72 60ft) and was half a second quicker to the 1/8th....

EDIT - I should add this turbo's efficiency band starts around 18 psi and ends over 40 psi

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Nige likes this.
  19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Glad to hear it's all fixable. :thumbup:

carlg likes this.
  20. AjVR Forum Member

Maybe too much RPM for piston number 3 set it free.

Is there signs of damage to that roof on the cylinder head?

At least it showed you were trying :thumbup:

carlg likes this.