Water / Methanol Injection...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Nige, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yup on the money with the strategy (not a lot admittedly) to do it
    There is a feature that requires a bit of jumpers to added in on the MS for the CPU IIRC, that will allow water injection to MS activated.
    With the feature turned on, injection could be triggered if the following are true:
    MAP setting over a threshold
    Engine speed over a threshold
    IAT over a threshold

That is the injection side of it. You can also switch the map tables via say a pressure switch or a water botttle level switch to a 'Water Injection' cal allowing you to run as you described, a map to take advantage of the extra density, add more fuel and push the torque up due to an increase of the BLD limit. No pressure switch or level or both, no WI calibration.

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Now you`re talking :clap:

I wasn`t aware that could be done in conjunction with MS EBC.

Ah, found it. I looked the other day and for some reason I couldn`t see it [:$]

Megasquirt Water Injection control

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Toyotec

Just remember where you got that heads up. We Club GTIers do try hard to give little nudges to each other. lol

Knock control and far better protection? A reason for an OEM car not blowing on the top of Kesselchen? Really? With that sort of logic you would hardly have the Golf GTI Championship series. No knock sensors, global ignition advance, no density correction and Kjet!

Assuming your hardware has been chosen properly, your base engine map should have protection built in, without having to resort to over corrections. That is safe calibration.
    It does not matter if the car is NASP or turbo, run a Diktator ECU or a Motec.

My approach to this is to look the effect air-charge density has on optimising engine filling and torque. All comments and suggestions stem from how that bit of physics works.

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Of course ! It`s all give and take on here and very appreciated :thumbup:

And as Mikes car and my own K-Jet experience has shown, if K-Jet goes wrong and you don`t notice, it doesn`t have any further protection for the engine, which is exactly my point!! ;)

You know that IS the case, but I refer you back to my example of a situation that realistically could occur at the Ring or any other circuit with long WOT sections and spirited driving in pursuit of another driver ;) lol

Which is why I`m suggesting a cooler IAT would help rather than hinder. All things being equal, after 30 minute hard driving on a track in the middle of Summer, things get hot. More so with a F/I car. I`m doing what I can to address that and I`m pretty certain I`m well on top of it.

Eddie, are you still suggesting there is no safety benefit from reducing charge temps by the addition of wmi, unless the calibration is tweaked to benefit ?

5. Toyotec

Those are 2 unfortunate circumstances, for various reasons, out of the many 'happiesh well maintained and prep'd 16v KJet cars including race cars that have no problem. In 2003, my daily ABF Kjet car was tuned on the limit of det, ran 13.5 AFR at 6800rpm and went to many North Weald meets and covered 40k + miles of road use. I did look after my powertrain and even though the body was tatty [:D]. That same engine and the pistons is now in my WOLF R. I have had 16vs with KJet running the old TT turbo conversion, running 14:1 on the dyno at full chat that seemed to last even after the owner was beating the hell of it at santa pod!
    I have been messing with the K-Jet system for a pretty long time and that is not my experience of them.

If your hardware is not being pushed to the limit of its design, then the benefits of using water injection would be significantly reduced. Running the car up a hill with just 55-55 IATs in a 30 deg ambient is nothing really in terms of durability. If it is cal'd right an IAT of 50deg C would have no issues whatsoever.
    Also remember water is not combustible or compressible so for a tad bit of benefit to charge density, if you are not taking advantage of its vaporisation properties, you are also part filling the cylinder with a medium that can actually reduce combustion force and if too much is used hydro lock the engine leading to total loss.

Also happens in a NASP car as well. VR6s can get to 70deg IAT! Think about what would happen in Arizona!
    From a calibration and engineering perspective you have not answered how a 'cooler IAT helps' in your application. Do you have PI? Have you heard DET? Spark already pushed to the limit? Need to run richer? Wee Volvo TD04 turbo chucking too much heat because you are pushing it way over what the OE would push it on a 5 cylinder?

All what was written, is that what I am really suggesting lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. tinto

tinto Forum Member

It was 37 degrees here for most of the day.
    Despite our baking heat the main appeal to me of WMI is the engine cleaning effect - particularly on direct injection engines where fuel doesn't play a role as a solvent for the crud that builds up in the head. Octane boost and cooling are happy by products in my eyes.

Unless you've got time to burn I'd definitely go for a kit - bugger the trial and error when a kit is a nice shortcut for appropriate pressure pumps, lines, nozzles etc. Devils own seems like a good option- here's some interesting reading.
    http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/content/20-where-to-locate-your-alcohol-water-injection-nozzle

7. Notso Swift Forum Member

Google Autospeed, they did an article on a home made kit, more importantly you will understand why

I had one on my old TX3 Turbo 4WD car (Mazda BMFR equivalent), stopped using it when I went E85

8. JamDawg New Member

My current MW project. Obviously this will be used for more than extra protection. The setup will have a direct injection plus 1 (post intercooler). There will be maps for with and without WM. MS3 will kick the system down to the second map if Knock or WM failsafe gauge shows a blip in flow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Nige likes this.
  9. micky1 Forum Member

my 1.9T has wmi @ 50% meth / water mix and boost controlled starting at 12 psi. its a two fold effect. it adds to the octane of the fuel/air raising power and it runs alot cooler. I need a bigger intercooler since the upgrades but it knocks 15 degs of the inlet temp within seconds. worth 30 hp on my current set up, with the new cooler fitted and 3" pipework it may not make all the difference but well worth it.

Nige likes this.
  10. micky1 Forum Member

i can see why! the octane rating goes up loads and so does the power! Can't wait for e85 here

11. Notso Swift Forum Member

Yep that latent heat evaporation actually allowed me to keep a smaller intercooler, all other things being equal a smaller inlet tract means better throttle response.
    The motor was no longer advance limited, lots of wins in a turbo, not so much on a NA unless you have 13+ compression. Only down side... 22% more fuel

12. JamDawg New Member

Water injection works well with big displacement NA motors. I have a friend who runs a ZO6 at the Texas mile (198 mph). He saw a 50 hp gain (base 600 whp)with just water. The water changing state not only lowers cylinder temps it also stirs up the gas mixture in the cylinder for a more even burn.