what 1.3 will fit in Mk1 driver

Discussion in '8-valve' started by luke w, Aug 30, 2004.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

The engine in my Mk1 driver gave up a while ago and has been left in my garage. I want to get it back on the road and need to know what other 1.3 engine will fit, as finding a Mk1 driver in the scrapyards with a complete engine is rather hard. Any help would be appreciated

2. Guests Banned

polo 1.3, mk2 golf 1.3

dont know any others as im not a vw expert.

3. dubleon Forum Member

g40 ;) What gave up on your current 1300?

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

pretty much all of them... mk2 and mk3 polo motors are dirt cheap and have hydraulic tappets, electronic ignition (easy spotted as they have 3 bolts holding the rocker cover down not 8 in your earlier car) and possibly a 5 speed! you'll need to swap the water manifold on the rear of the block from you old engine as well as the thermostat housing so all the pipes and sensors match up. the extra wiring for the choke heater and manfiold heater is easy done (though I forget now) unless you want to run it on th old carb and save efort (IIRC the manifolds swap directly) The electronic ignition is simple to make work, just nick the THI-H unit from th donor car and the small loom that attatches it to the coil/live/earth. Although the 5 speed never made it into the A1 chassis you can make a mount for the nearside chassis leg quite simply if you fancy the extra gear (I ran without, but woulnd advise it) Exhaust and everything else matches up a treat.

(edited for spelling)
    Edited by: Unknown

5. flusted Forum Member

I might be wrong but i think the 1400 engine from a seat ibiza fits

6. Unknown Forum Junkie

I guess its a similar motor to the 1.4 6N polo, so I spose its not tricky.... My knowledge of polos ends at the mk3 I'm afraid (aside from where the oil goes)

7. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I would love to fit a g40 but there is too much time and money involved. I just need to get it back on the road in its original state so I can use it as my every day car while I work on my MK2. The 1.4 is out of the question as well, seeing as they are fuel injection, unless it is a quick and painless job, but I doubt that. Are the Mk3 polos carb or injection? If so then I'll hunt around for one of them in the scrap yards, always seem to be loads about.

8. Unknown Forum Junkie

I think they are single point injection on most mk3s I guess you can chuck this away though...? I know a Mk2 polo 1.3 is an easy job. Shouldnt take more than a day, provided no bolts round or sieze badly.

9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'll hunt around for a Mk2 polo then. I take it the driveshafts and gear linkages and all that fit together easily. I don't want to go through the same hassle I did when I fitted a 1.8 gu engine into my 1.3 Mk2. Do you reckon its worth buying a complete car, I've seen ones in good condtion for a couple of hundred.

10. Unknown Forum Junkie

use all the mk2 shafts etc. dont really need a complte car but its
    sometimes tricky to remember all you need, also if you are getting a
    whole car you can give it a run and see how it is before buying it or
    fiting it to the golf and use up any tax and MOT while it gives you the
    chance to clean out the golf engine bay if it needs doing.

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've found a 1.3 Mk2 for 200. The bodywork is a mess but the engine sounds pretty sweet and has 70k on the clock. Is this any harder to fit than one from a polo? I noticed the Mk1 on the latest issue of Rabbit has a Mk2 unit fitted.

12. Unknown Forum Junkie

same engines really, I'd guess it was an MH code in the mk2 (if its
    the hydraulic type that is if its a mech tappet engine then its
    probably the same as the one your are replacing it with), the same as
    the polo coupe S and Ranger etc...