What are these MK2 Top Mounts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by trackdaygtimk2, Sep 22, 2016.

1. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

Help needed again all

Took the car for its mot and it failed on the top mounts in my AVO coil overs being loose

I thought I would upgrade to MK3 GTI mounts but when I took the front suspension apart it looks like the top mounts already fitted are far superior to anything I have seen before

They are a solid rubber or poly mount with an internal bearing

Question is , what are they , I have never seen them before , the movement in the suspension leg is up and down so the problem is not the mount it's the top plate that bolts on under the bonnet , when the leg moves down there is nothing to stop the top plate hitting the top of the turret

The top mount sits on top of the alloy plate on the coil over and when installed the top mount is completely flush with the top of the turret and does not have the cut out like other mounts for the top cap to sit in

What are they and what am I missing ???????

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

More pics all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

Ps , the first picture under the bonnet is a big neoprene washer that is fitted under the top cap, when the car is jacked up it just pulls through the turret until the top cap hits the turret

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

That is a Mk2 bonrath top mount set up, same as I run ..see link below ..Real good job and hard to find ;) :thumbup:

5. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

Fasteddie, amazing build thread !!!! Amazing knowledge , your a hero

Had a quick scan through and can't see
    your reference to the bonrath

So what should go on top of the bonrath on top of the turret between the top cap to stop the up and down play when the wheels are off the ground ??????

Thanks in advance

6. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I solid poly bush below the top plate.

Save this pic and blow it up you can just see them below the top plate :thumbup:

What you have should be grand you could try standard mk2 top plates, not as deep.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

fasteddie , any idea of what polybush size or where I can source ? Reference the top mount I thought I had mk2 fitted , are you saying the ones I have with the drilled holes are different ?

Appreciate your help and advice , glad we are all here to help each other with these ageing dilemmas ????

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

You do have mk2 mounts, top plate is the same as mine only yours has holes and no top poly ring.
    Now what you have with that thick foam ring, I have a spare kit like that also for my mk2.
    will measure mine later. have to a photo of that top plate removed ?

9. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

Fasteddie that would be appreciated , photos below with the top cap removed and in situ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you could let me know the size of the washers on your mount under the top cap or a source of where to get them it would be great

Thanks