What camcorder for trackuse?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by I V - mk1 16v, Jan 1, 2006.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Are Bullet cams really that complicated? [:s] [:^(]

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Bullet cameras are simple devices, it's just finding the right equipment to record the information on to. Of which, I should be alright with the camcorder I've got, judging by what the dogcamsport fella said above. [:s]

I've got a little problem somewhere when I use the 3x jack leads joined to a tv, though it might work with no problems with a bullet cam plugged in. [:-B]

3. barny Forum Member

No not at all, you've seen me rig them up on trackdays, quick simple and easy. I think with mk1 driver we're overlooking something very silly !

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

In the instruction book for the AV terminal, it basically tells you how to connect the cable, straight forward and goes on to mention:

"If connecting to a TV, set the inout selector to VIDEO. If connecting to a VCR, set the input selector to LINE"

What, or where is the 'input selector'?

The only options in VCR setup in VCR mode is SP/LP and AV>DV.

5. barny Forum Member

No idea! Does it have a menu you can access ?

My sony's dont have the option to change, they just do it automatically.

Can you post any pics to help clarify things ?

6. barny Forum Member

What do you mean lock up ?

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

When I press a button, which brought up the TV image on the camcorder display before (using the switchable scart connector), the tape spooled to a pause and the TV image appeared almost instantly.

With the 3x leads seperately plugged into the TV and the same button pressed on the camcorder the tape spools upto a pause but the TV image isn't displayed and the little tape icon that is in the centre of the camcorder display (in VCR mode) freezes/locks up. The main menu can still be accessed though.

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

AV socket location, normal jack lead under the cover:
    [​IMG]

Buttons, the bottom right button activates the link between an outside source:
    [​IMG]

With the camcorder in VCR mode and nothing else pressed:
    [​IMG]

Now with the 'REC PAUSE' button pressed, the tape spools up and pauses (with 3x jack leads, NO scart):
    [​IMG]

But it all seems to freeze:
    Putfile video link showing this.

Supplied scart looks to be for camcorder out connection only:
    [​IMG]

With my switchable scart:
    [​IMG]

From Off > VCR Mode > 'REC PAUSE' button > displaying TV image (with switchable scart turned to 'Out'):
    Putfile video link 2

If I switch the scart to 'IN' the data from the camcorder can be played back through the TV:
    [​IMG]

9. barny Forum Member

I'm running outta ideas here! In the last pic you show the cam playing what its recorded from the tv from the scart lead.

We need to loose the scart lead.Period. You'll not be needing it with the bullet cam.

When using the three jack plugs directly to the tv, we need to get the tv's output into the camera. I cant see how the scart connector (not cable) affects the cams controls, or indeed why it should. I'm sure the mv range as doggicam sugested supports use of bullet cams. I'm sure peeps have said on bookatrack that thye've used the mv range.

Something isnt being done that needs to be.

Either that ebay it and buy a sony.

10. barny Forum Member

If i connect my sony's up as per the doggicam (what a supid f**king name for a company ) picture, when i turn them on in vcr mode they automatically show me the bullet cams picture. If i hit the display button whilst not recording nor playing the tape it will overide the bullet cam view and show the blue screen like yours above. If i then hit play it will play the tape and display it on the screen. Then hit stop and it will diplay the blue screen again. Pressing display will then show the bullet cam view.

I dont have to tell it anything, one overides the other.

11. barny Forum Member

Where abouts do you live ? I'm at silverstone tomorrow with ti all if its any use

12. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

It's dogcamsport/dogcams, originally started out putting mini cams on dog collars, by the looks of things on their site. :lol:

I've had another response from one of the blokes there and he wrote:

"From what I can work out, the reason you can't record form the tv without the in/out scart adapter is because the 3 plugs on the front of your tv will be an input (for the tv) when you use the scart adapter in the back you are connecting to an output. With our cameras, you will plug the yellow av plug that you have to our dogcam and then you'll be able to record the image."

Sounds good to me and would explain why it's not working for me.

Have you got a Sony TV as well barny? Or a TV a little bit more advanced than most? Something along these lines must be the reason to why yours works as it does.

Are the head rest mounts trackday friendly? Or do some tracks or organisers require a particular mount and position?

13. barny Forum Member

199 28" widescreen made by bush, cheapo as you like. Matey from doggicam sounds like hes talking bollox.
    Edited by: barny

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Bullet camera arrived this morning...

... and it works! [:|]

Thanks for the troubleshooting Barny. Roll on some test runs this weekend. [:D] [:$]

Back to the other question, maybe one for GVK?

Are the head rest mounts trackday friendly for the onboard shots? Or do some tracks, or organisers, require a particular mount and position?

15. GVK

As long as it's secured ok, the headrest mount should be fine, some track day organisations such as Javelin don't allow the suction mounts to be front screen fitted, but it's 'ok' to have it in the rear window :lol::lol::lol:

If you've got a bullet cam, just secure the camcorder in a peli box thingy as Barny said earlier in the thread and put the bullet camera where ever..:p:p

I've got a manfrotto 'superclamp' to attach mine to the cage diagonal using 'bits' from my Hague mount.. :thumbup:

At most MSV tracks you have to get another wristband and sign a disclaimer to allow you onto the track with a camera [xx(]
    Edited by: GVK

16. barny Forum Member

No probs at silverstone yesterday ! Not sure if its msv tho ...

17. GVK

MSV tracks

Brands
    Cadwell
    Snetterton
    Oulton

18. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Do you have to pay for said wristband then??

i belive in motorsport the MSA get shirty about filming the events in car etc

I'll find out the official line.

19. barny Forum Member

You could also just hide the camera - see if you can see it. No one at the ring noticed it, nor curbrough ...

Clicky

20. GVK

You don't have to pay, but just sign a disclaimer jargon bollox :lol: