what colour should it be inside a tooth?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt82, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

as part of my fantastic weekend, one of my teeth fell to bits in the shower this morning

its one of the big ones at the back.

it fell to bits, is say about 40% is missing. it doesnt hurt at all.

inside, looking with a mirror, it can see a soft white bit and the rest is soft and black

it cannot be dislodged so im guessing its all meant to be there, but surely it should hurt like hell?

its performance lightening really

2. *Dubby* Forum Member

I would say you need to make a trip to the dentists, even if it doesnt hurt now.....HTH

3. TurbTech Forum Junkie

+17bhp

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

how does a tooth just fall apart??

5. Broke Forum Member

I'm not seeing anything black in this pic...

[​IMG]

Sounds like the tooth has been decaying for some time inside without pain (either the nerve wasn't exposed or it simply wasn't hurting for some reason) and was weakened and finally broke.

If the nerve is alive and OK, and there is enough good tooth rooted to your head, they'll grind it to a post shape and put a crown on it.
    If it is a dead nerve, then it'll be a root canal to get the old nerve out, metal posts in the old tooth after it is shaped, and then a crown.

It wouldn't be cheap here, probably a $500-$700 ordeal.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

god knows what ive unearthed then.

i had a lot of tooth ache in that tooth a few months back (ie it hurt to the extent that i woke up in the night and nearly puked it hurt so much).

it then calmed down and last week i discovered what felt like a hole in the top, i wasnt sure so it could have been something lodged in the gap etc.

i was in the shower, the hole felt different, i applied pressure with my tongue and the side fell out lol

there were fragments coming out after that (the top fell apart too) and then later i was on the phone and the back of the tooth fell out. not a lot left any more

trip to the dentist as soon as i can book something.

maybe im down to the dentin layer. it doesnt hurt in the slightest, which is a bonus

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

Hopefully they won't go the route canal.. route.

I was given antibiotics for a week and then they dug what was left of my tooth out with a spoon-like tool.

It's not the best feeling.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got a tool that can fix anything lol teeth are over rated, i want a refund. not fit for the purpose they were intended

9. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Some hammerite should do the trick.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i had route canal work done on an infected nerve.... god that was painfull. I think you will find they fill pull the nerve out and then fill over the top which will be fun!! do you have harribo and coke for tea every night? followed by a dib dab for pudding?

11. matt d Forum Member

:lol:

Matt, do you go to the dentist every six months? Surely if you do then this sort of thing would be avoided[:s]
    I'm glad it doesn't hurt

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I had root canal work done last month and the only painful (and that wasn't really) was sticking the needle in to deaden the area.

It used to take two or three trips to the dentist for root canal work in the past, but this time he did it all in one visit, took about 45 minutes.

And Broke - it would be good to get a decent porcelain crown for $700/400. It would cost at least double that, if not more, from my dentist.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haribo most lunchtimes lol

i smoke and drink black coffee so i do make a fair effort to keep them clean otherwise they are liable to end up black

the rest are quite tip top really

14. lufbramatt Forum Member

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

My rear tooth just fell apart once exactely how you described. Basically a small tooth decay just weakened it over time from the bottom. Basically my dentist filled the hole with a filling and rounded it off, so you never quite have the full extension of a tooth but still uses fine. Over time it has become a lot smoother and hard to notice it.

I'm going to the dentist on Thurs to have my front teeth repaired after falling flat on my face after getting smashed (tooth got a nice smash too) on holiday :lol:

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all wrong, the only suitable filler for mens teeth is
    [​IMG]

17. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

mine did the same thing, just broke off in pieces, no pain.

There was however a hole in my tooth for a over a year previous, but said tooth has grown back now :thumbup: also one from the back (molar?)

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

p45 body filler?

19. Matt G Forum Member

i got two like this, at first - no pain, now i can barely eat anything cold, or too hot - its like being stabbed in the mouth.

it sucks, will be off to the dentist soon i recon.

20. kells Forum Member

this has happened to me too!!

3rd tooth in from the back on my right side bottom, half the tooth has broken off whilst enjoying some southern fried chicken, no pain what so ever but i went to the dentist anyhow

my tooth has a filling in it, been their for the last 10 year, and because the filling was so bit its basically made the tooth weak and its finally worn to the point it broke, mine is like a metal colour on one side at the mo which i was told is the filling, iv got to go back in september for it capping, costing me bloody 200 quid!!!!!!! its gonna be gold too:p

they did a check on the nerve too to make sure it was ok, that hurt a little

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008