What harm does a chimney fire do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheSecondComing, Jan 11, 2007.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I've never had it swept since I bought the house 4 years ago, and I have no idea when it was done before that. I burn everything on the fire - junk mail, plastics, peat briquettes, wood, the whole lot.
    So if my chimney went on fire, what would it damage?
    I mean surely it would just burn off all the flammable deposits, then die out?

2. Admin Guest

isn't that it comes back down the chimney?

the risk being it then sets your living room on fire...

3. thegolfman Forum Member

:lol:
    U worry to much.

4. shortstack Forum Member

cracked flu ...fumes everywhere ...dead perhaps .....not that it worries you , you allready know the big man upstairs ...!

could end up comin back down on ya , maybee set fire to the rafters in the roof space ....
    at least homeless ...tbh !

good luck .....ps if you are leavin a will i want my motor back !

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No chance you're getting the valver back Shortstack! Until I find a nice Corrado....

There is no flue, it's a 60's house with a brick chimney. I ripped out the original fireback when I moved in and made it into a "letterbox" type fire.

I'm thinking a good (free)chimney fire is a better way of sweeping the chimney, if it does happen...... upstairs is all well plastered, much like myself. No chance of fumes getting in there.

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

find a neighbour's kid and shuv em up your chimney :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  7. gary wigg

gary wigg Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: like it

8. shortstack Forum Member

does it have to be a Corrado .....i ....u ...we....know someone with a nice mk3 vr ..........i`ll get the valver back .....somehow [:^(] ;)

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i meant neighbour's kid [:|]

10. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I think it has the potential to raze your house to the ground.
    IIRC from my younger days back when almost everyone had a coal fire the Fire Brigade used to attend to put them out.

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Hehe, I haven't even changed the cam belt since I bought it form Kenny. Failed the last MoT on a load of minor things, back in October...... now all fixed, though it's still not MoT'd or taxed........[:D]

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

If the chimney is used regularly you should think about getting it swept one a year.

It doesn't cost that much & it could save your life.

We had one were a brick sticking out got covered in soot & started to block it which can be deadly.

13. vduben Forum Member

get it swept!!!!!!! the soot can catch fire and also block, my friend had a chimney fire with a wood burner and it turned the flu on the burner white hot!!!!!
    very dangerous if you leave it

14. Andy947 Forum Addict

Setting it on fire negates the requirement to have it swept.

My grandad used to recommend platic bottles to get some serious heat and flames on the go to get the soot burning. :thumbup:

15. flutterby Forum Member

We had a big clear out when i moved out of a house with an open fire, we burnt nearly everything that was rubbish if it would burn. At one point we had flames comin out of the tubes at the top. the owner turned up at the time and we thought we would get shouted at us but he thanked us cos we saved him a job so i dotn know if it really did the job or not

16. Unknown Forum Junkie

My neighbor used to have the od chimney fire, used to get the fire brigade around. They'd put it out in 30 seconds and then eat all the biscuits and cake. I think she just like firemen.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

put vagcom on it and ask vagcom

18. garfayliu Forum Member

kid's neighbour might still work. :lol:

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I see all your points, but my thinking is this. As I say, I ripped out the fireback and fireplace when I moved in. So that left me with just the brick "builder's opening".
    I then built a wee wall up about 18" off the ground, and filled behind it with concrete. So it now looks a bit like this.
    [​IMG]

Except without the glass.
    Now given that the back and sides of the fireplace are bare brick, and show no signs of brick or mortar damage after 4 years of fires, I don't see that my full-size (27 inch wide), unlined, brick chimney is going to be damaged by a quick chimney fire. My ma is always on at me to get it swept in case of a fire, yet I've been told by a good few people that a fire does no harm except clean out your chimney.
    If the chimney blocked I'd know all about it, because it's not a gas fire so smoke would pour into the room. So is there any other way a chimney fire could cause harm?

20. richellis Forum Member

can damage the inside of the chimney cus up away from the flame its not used to the heat + can set other stuff off, like your roof!