what song/tune have you got...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Riley, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Torquey Forum Member

Muse - Apocalypse Please
    yourcodenameismilo - First mater responds
    and now Rage against the machine cos when i read slicks post I thought of Bombtrack.

Yes I like it heavy.

2. thebluebus Forum Junkie

me too.......i blame - 3 hours on the way back from southampton in someone else's car thats addicted to radio 2!

3. superden Forum Addict

Radio 2 rules [8D]

4. Miss Psyclodia

Miss Psyclodia Forum Junkie

Dizzy rascal vz vitalic - i love poney
    Edited by: Miss Pussy

5. RSSGOLF Forum Junkie

I think its called "put it on me"....ja rule and ashanti

dunno why!!!!! [:s]

6. Ramblin Forum Member

calling elvis by the straits, downloaded it after reading the drie straits post, looking out my old cd's just now

7. mr purple Forum Member

wiley - 'who ate all the pies' and the new fatboy slim one 'slash dot dash'.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

double post....
    Edited by: TheSecondComing

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

For the bored or interested....

Throughout his career, Neil Young has focused on important figures and events of North American history. This is clearly shown in Cortez The Killer, Pocahontas and Southern Man. The purpose of looking back at history and setting these songs in the past is to bring attention to important events and people in history that have been forgotten or overlooked and to shed light on the darker aspects of North American history.

Hernan Cortes was born in 1485. Cortes discovered his love of exploration at the University of Salamanca. By the time he was in his twenties, Cortes had become an important figure in the European Renaissance(1). In 1519, he embarked on the conquest of the Aztec Empire, sailing from Cuba to what is now Mexico. Once there, he trekked to the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan, where Emperor Montezuma ruled. Cortes' arrival happened to coincide with the foreseen return of the Aztec god, Quetzalcoatl. Cortes was expecting to have to battle for power of the Aztec capital; however, when he arrived in Tenochtitlan, Emperor Montezuma believed that Cortes' arrival was the coming Quetzalcoatl, and treated Cortes as such. Cortes ruled the land, causing havoc by replacing Aztec religious images and monuments with Christian ones. Eventually a war broke out between the Aztecs and the Spaniards. In the end, Cortes vanquished Tenochtitlan, having killed all of the Aztec people in the process.

Cortez The Killer was released on Young's 1975 album, Zuma. The main point that Young is trying to get across in Cortez The Killer is that while Cortes is regarded, by the Spanish, as a great explorer who colonized the New World, there is another darker side to Cortes' legacy. The first verse of the song is an introduction to its theme. The opening lines,
    "He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns"
    are interesting because of the use of the word "dancing". Young could have written, "He sailed across the water" or "He travelled across the sea", but Young chose to use the word "dancing" specifically. The use of this word signifies that Cortes had a joyous and self-righteous attitude about him, carrying "his galleons and guns" off to conquer the New World with no problems on his mind.
    The next verse,

"On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his coca leaves and pearls
    In his halls he often wondered
    With the secrets of the world"
    reveals the paradise that was the Aztec world before the arrival of Cortes and is in stark contrast to the state of the Aztec world after Cortes' reign. The third verse,
    "And his subjects gathered 'round him
    Like the leaves around a tree
    In their clothes of many colours
    For the angry gods to see"
    deals with Cortes' first arrival in Tenochtitlan, when the Aztecs believed that he was the god Quetzalcoatl. The first line, "And his subjects gathered 'round him", does not signify that Montezuma's subjects gathered around Montezuma, but gathered around Cortes. Cortes described this situation in one of his letters to Spain:
    "Montezuma came down the middle of this street with two chiefs, one on his right hand and the other on his left. When we met I dismounted and stepped forward to embrace him, but the two lords who were with him stopped me with their hands so that I should not touch him; and they likewise all performed the ceremony of kissing the earth. When at last I came to speak to Montezuma himself I took off a necklace of pearls and cut glass that I was wearing and placed it round his neck; after we had walked a little way up the street a servant of his came with two necklaces, wrapped in a cloth, made from red snails' shells, which they hold in great esteem; and from each necklace hung eight shrimps of refined gold almost a span in length. And after he had given me these things he sat on another throne which they placed there next to the one on which I was sitting."(2)
    The next verse deals with the struggle between the Aztecs and the Spaniards. The lines,
    "They offered life in sacrifice
    So that others could go on"
    alludes to those who fought against the Spaniards so that the future generations of Aztecs could live on without Spanish oppression. The next two verses,
    "Hate was just a legend
    And war was never known
    The people worked together
    And they lifted many stones
    "They carried them to the flatlands
    And they died along the way
    But they built up with their bare hands
    What we still can't do today"

in the same vein of the second verse, show the great Aztec civilization that existed before the arrival of Cortes. These verses bring about the idea that violence and conflict were just a thing of myth amongst the Aztec people until Cortes brought those qualities out in them in the lines, "Hate was just a legend/And war was never known." These verses also suggest that the Aztec civilization was one of the greatest in history that has yet to be surpassed, in the lines "But they built up with their bare hands/What we still can't do today."
    The next verse,

"And I know she's living there
    And she loves me to this day
    I still can't remember when
    Or how I lost my way"
    is very interesting because it can be read in several different ways. One possible explanation of this song is that Young is writing about a woman that he met during his travels and misses her. However, a more plausible explanation of this verse is that Young was writing from the perspective of Cortes himself. The woman in question is Maria de Cuellar; an Aztec woman that Cortes fell in love with and eventually married. This verse suggests that Cortes was not just a ruthless savage, but a normal human that was capable of love. As well, Young suggests in the last two lines of that verse, "I still can't remember when/Or how I lost my way" that Cortes was not responsible for the actions of himself and the Spaniards. However, in the final lines of Cortez The Killer, Young does an about-face and states,
    "He came dancing across the water
    Cortez, Cortez
    What a killer"
    The effect of this is that the listener is not caught up in the legend of Cortes as the great explorer, but the reality that he was a ruthless leader who destroyed a once great civilization. In live performances of Cortez The Killer, such as the one that appears on Live Rust, Young sums up his feelings towards Cortes in one line. In Young's eyes, Hernan Cortes was a "plenty bad man".

11. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Ladytron - Seventeen

Was used in a remix i heard today so i had to it.

The remix bieng "Justin's 17 Showerscene" by IDC

Edited by: gbolton

12. cordobabrendy Forum Member

elvis vs jxl a little less conversation
    its my ringtone on my motorola v525 and turned up full whack, gets me some funny looks in different offices i work in but what the f**k, its better than the pathetic nokia do de do doo one.

13. Miss Psyclodia

Miss Psyclodia Forum Junkie

do you like ladytron?

i posted that in another thread here somewhere i find them real good right now.(will check the remix right this second!)

14. darnold4 Forum Member

"Synfonica" - Brainchild

"Stop!" - Sam Brown

and some german 90's techno which I don't remember the name of but is fab.