What would you do?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by nawaters, Jun 13, 2020.

1. nawaters New Member

Hi All,

Hope you are all staying safe.

So, after many years and obstacles I’m finally in a position to get my mk2 16v the way I want it, but facing a heart vs head problem.

I’ve wanted a conversion for 10 years, my mk2 is in need of brake system overhaul, repaint with some welding, rubbers and trim renew and wheel tyre refurb.

Suspension, steering and interior have been renewed in the last few years so after paint, brakes, conversion and general tidy up, doing the maths I don’t see much change of 7-8k, given the current economy just don’t know if I should. I don’t have the space or time to do it myself, it just wouldn’t get done once started.

This is the heart and head problem, it’s not garaged, it was my first car, no longer a daily as I have a touran. I just can’t make up my mind if I should commit or at least do it in stages, or chop the lot and get something newer and be done with the heartache.

In an ideal world I’d keep both cars instead of something new with monthly payments which is just going to depreciate.

Guess I’m trying not to make a massive financial mistake.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you get rid, you'll miss it, and they're going up in price damn near exponentially.

3. nawaters New Member

Thanks Tristan,

I agree they are creeping up in value I guess I should look at it more of an investment that I can enjoy.

I’ve still got some thinking to do, biggest one is the conversion, as much as I’d love it, I think it’s needed to add an element of reliability considering the aged KJet fuel system. I really want the conversion, just need to justify to myself the expense.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Well, if was me, I'd keep the golf and get it how you want it. What conversion are you thinking.
    I've done it in the past, got rid of my caddy and a qashqai because of a situation and got a mini clubman that I thought would be best of both worlds, sensible but still fun, disappointing really.
    I'm lucky, have a very like minded wife, we have 6 cars between us, nothing too new though.
    Polo 9n3 for our son which I'm using until passes test, old a4 avant that is the long distance sensible (well, lowered and modified slightly) bus. Mgf that we got 3 years ago and restored for our wedding, Allie's little kia daily driver, and the mk2 golf she bought few weeks ago which we are restoring and modifying. In the garage is a classic mini I got couple years ago, that was a heart over head moment, it's my 29th mini and fell in love with it the moment we saw it, I've spent time and money getting it to how I wanted my last mini back in 2000, but for some reason, I'm not that into it any more, especially after buying the polo and rediscovering vw things.
    Do your golf, if you sell it, buy something bland you will regret it, then try to replace the golf you sold but it wont be your original one.
    Better the devil you know maybe, obviously depending on how bad or what your plan is for the golf, and what you want to spend roughly.
    Pros and cons to it, I'd stick with the daily you know, and concentrate on your vision.
    I've done the welding and bodywork on ours, new wings, and respray will be under 1400 altogether with a set of borbets, the 1.8t and parts to fit that are in the garage owes me about a grand, as a rough total for our mk2 project.
    Or, come and buy my mini, I'll take the golf in px :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Do it if you can spare the money. You can always get more money one way or another, but if you get rid of the Golf you will never be able to get it back again. I would rather regret what has been spent on mine(never mind the hours spent in my cave) than get rid of it and wish I hadn't.

Sirguydo likes this.
  6. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I would say keep the car, invest in getting it to how you want. £7-8k is what you'd spend in 18 months leasing run of mill motor, including deposit and you'll have nothing to show for it at the end.

With the Golf you'll have a car that won't depreciate and have something cool/interesting to drive about in.

I used to be of the mindset that I had to get rid of a modern-ish car becuase it might need some new brakes and tyres and that would cost me an arm and a leg. Now I've got 4 cars because I decided to keep the family wagon going instead of chopping it in after a few years. It is now 7 years old and has only cost me tyres and servicing. I did the maths the other day and honestly can say, even after a big restoration of the Corrado I've spent no more than I would have if I'd kept changing my family wagon for the latest and greatest version of itself.

Likewise rather than getting something newish as a run around I have a mk4 Golf GT Tdi which i've changed all the running gear (myself) and that car costs buttons to buy and run.

And lastly I've got mk2 Golf GTI in a similar state to yours with a similar journey ahead. Anything you can do yourself do so as it saves a fortune in the end.