What's Up!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Zender Z20, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

No Up! GTI sub category... any chance, like?

Daughter has a Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo, the least powerful 55 hp 3-pot they do (1st car, cheap insurance needed at her age), but an absolute hoot to drive... I'm forever stealing it on her.

She's had it for around three years now, wasn't new when we got it, but as good now as the day it arrived.

You'll have sussed I'm a bit of a fan then, so much so that I've an Up! GTI in my sights that's for sale locally.

Again not new but it's got a few extras that I'd said would need to be there before I'd settled on a particular car.

Don't pop up here too often (been looking for quite a while now) which is a surprise since they seem to get a universally good press.

Anyhow, if I pull the trigger, will be needing somewhere to rave about it and talk crap with other owners... so what do you think admin?

(PS. Don't lump it in with the Fox / Lupo etc.)

daylight 2.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I thought it was going to be about the classic four non blondes single, disappointed.
    But I do like the miniscule offering from the vag group, we looked at several incarnations for mrs Dodgy but ended up buying windows instead.
    Go for it Big Z.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Same, I've a soft spot for a small, light,, simple hatch.
    Spiritual successor to a mk1 GTI.

4. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Same here I like them - my mum has a 1.0 UP which I borrowed for a few days and really enjoyed throwing it around on some windy b roads. Great little cars.

My wife has just inheritated from her late uncle a 2000 Y Reg Vauxhall Corsa with just 11,000 miles on it but I am solely tempted to get an UP or equiv from Skoda/Seat instead as am a VAG chap at heart.

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

We have a Skoda Citigo Green tech Elegance.
    Quite nice with heated seats. It's a bit breathless on any steep hills round Yorkshire and the gearing is high. £0 road tax too although I think everyone must make a contribution (other two cars total over £500!)
    The penny pinching is obvious. No passenger window switch on the driver's side and no arch liners on the rear allowing loads of crud to collect in the rear bumper, but you can retrofit them at a cost.

6. Zender Z20

My current daily, I've had it for almost 4, 1/2 years... ex demo. bought at 3 or 4 months old from the main dealer for almost half the new price!

It's an AWD, with the latest bells and whistles plus loads of extras being a showroom car.

Electronic everything, I'm surprised you even have to get in it to go anywhere.

But realistically I've maybe used a just a quarter of the features, and even then probably only out of curiosity. Some others I've never been near... there's likely things it does I still don't know about.

Point is, it's just that... pointless. I've been driving long enough now to know when to dip my own lights, read the road signs for myself and know it's not a good idea to wander across the white lines.

No regrets, liked it and got good service from it... it's even gone up in value by quite a bit, so a cheaper few years motoring than expected.

Still not a patch on the Citigo though, less is quite often more.

(Be a good thread subject for the old codgers on here that like to get all up tight about things - Pointless features in modern cars.)

7. Zender Z20

Did it... Love it! IMG20220624150359.jpg

Cressa, Tristan and dodgy like this.
  8. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one! Enjoy love it.

9. dodgy

Luverly stuff.

Got go try the wheels on the mk2, and get me a picture.

10. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Nice. Quite liberating when you don't have to factor kiddy paraphernalia.
    Can you put the passenger window down from the driver's seat, and does it have rear arch liners? I don't use the citigo much but think that the latter will keep behind the rear bumper clean and sound-deaden grit noise too.

11. Zender Z20

Been mooching about the place today, just for the sake of it.

First to admit it's still very early days and those new car, rose tinted googles remain firmly on, but even so liking the whole experience more than even I was expecting (and my bar was high).

Suppose I've had the benefit of using the Citigo for years now so there shouldn't be any major surprises (or disappointments) moving over to an Up!

Yes, can reach over to the passenger side window switch, but thankfully they put one on the drivers door too... and rear arch liners are included.

Each to their own, but I'm not a fan of anything over 15" on a MK2, though it might work the other way about better...

sterns.JPG

sterns1.JPG

dodgy likes this.
  12. dodgy

Didn't think it would take long :lol:

Did nearly try one of the borbet A on my wife's kia picanto just for a laugh but it started raining.

13. Zender Z20

Put the dash cam in between showers of rain yesterday.

Kept it back from the previous car as it was quite a reasonable one, so it had all it's original ciggy lighter socket connector / leads etc. that you got at the time.

I'd toyed with the idea of hard wiring it when it came all those years ago but didn't want to start tampering with things on what was effectively a new car, still under warranty.

I know you can now get kits that piggy-back a suitable fuse location and don't need you to physically cut into anything.

Was looking at those when this popped up on Amazon, though you seem to be able to get them all over the place, so shop about even though theirs turned out to be the cheapest I could find a few days ago.

Does what the piggy backing one does but with the added feature of being able to switch between permanent live and ignition live via a simple rocker switch.

Claims to have a power cut out if it's on the former setting to prevent a flat battery, remains to be seen1

Couldn't be easier to fit, if there is a problem it's probably that they give you a bit too much cable (for an Up! at any rate) that has to be hidden away.

The permanently on feature would be useful if for example you're in the shops for a short while or a similar scenario, but as a rule I'll likely have it set to acc. switched, but still handy to have.

When I was fitting it found an unexpected cuckoo in the nest already... a VW DataPlug.

Never heard of one so after a bit of Googling it's just linked into an optional app. that records journeys taken / fuel consumption etc. if you're into that sort of thing.

If I've read it correctly though all that same info. goes back to VW also... seems a bit too big brother for me so didn't have an issue ditching it, might be worth checking it you've one and don't realise.

(OBD adapter image is from the advert)

OBD.JPG

dataplug.jpg

dataplug2.jpg

14. Zender Z20

Surprising what you find on a wet Sunday afternoons surfing...

In keeping with their fixation for word play, missed a trick not calling it the Fuc**ed Up!

xup.JPG

xup1.JPG

xup2.JPG

xup3.JPG

xup4.JPG

xup5.JPG

xup6.JPG

15. Adamss24 Forum Member

A1AD15D8-90CF-427C-8E68-20E4F6053898.jpeg 43FC7F06-A388-4B94-B12E-B399F6068381.jpeg 0D7B8B2E-8705-4F22-8547-E90AF9AF8C62.jpeg 8DD7B6D2-AAD5-461C-8AC7-962F1E3A1DC4.jpeg E4E435A6-C524-43BD-9915-32A362FA2C38.jpeg 3A5A3A3C-5169-4611-9E17-79A93A373F93.jpeg E5B65905-B02F-4D3C-904A-CA4A2C38127D.jpeg I have one from new, bought it in 2012 in Uk as a no frills/no gimmicks shopping cart for my ex to do the school run and in anticipation of my daughter passing her driving test !
    Anyway is a really good tough car, had a hard life but she gets smiles on my face every time I drive it ! Now is registered in Romania- still a RH Drive and it’s getting driven every day ! Very, very good little cars…

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Anything on an Up that mk1 or mk2 scavenger can use for upgrades?
    Asking for a friend :lol:

dodgy likes this.
  17. Adamss24 Forum Member

I doubt much will swap over, the up! Is much like a toy car, built well but still a bit dinky !! Goes well and great fuel economy and you can get really nice spec motors nowadays ! My only gripe it’s lack of AC, you really need it in summer on mainland Europe !

18. Zender Z20

Brothers (or is it sisters?)

twins.jpg

twins1.jpg

Couple of piccies I took summer before last for something else, but it shows you just how cars have grown over the decades.

The 205 was considered a 'super' mini when current, a segment one up from a small car... todays city cars now dwarf them.

sizematters1.jpg

sizematters3.jpg

Adamss24 likes this.
  19. Adamss24 Forum Member

Great shot of the pug next to the up ! I always look on the window and notice how small the up is looking next to modern cars ! We now have a Tiguan rline for the missus to do the school run and she prefers the up as it’s nimble round town and easy to park !

20. Zender Z20

Few more miles now under it's belt, inc. 3 x adults on a part motorway run.

Wee car makes no apologies for it's size and keeps up with the best of them with no effort and grunt to spare

Said above that I liked my last car and was worried if I was doing the right thing geting rid of it... there's been one or two daily's in my life that I've genuinely missed and it'll probably become one of them, but I'm not made of money and keeping them both wasn't going to happen.

Having said that the Up! makes you more than just plain like it, I'm going to really enjoy this one.

Bit of a pedant when it comes to tyres on any of our cars, and always keep a close eye on them.

Dealer had the pressures all over the place on pick up and when adjusting them it surprised me the extent of the VW recommended inflations.

Standard two person setting is 39 psi front and 36 psi rear on 195/40 17"s - look at the rears recommended psi with a full load, at 42 psi it can't be far off the max. permitted, will have to read the fine print on side walls out of curiosity.

psi.jpg

Something new to me is a manufacturer recommending alternative 'comfort' pressures, denoted by the 'i' on the door jamb sticker.

Even they're still quite high at 35/32 psi.

Have run the car on both and there is a genuinely noticibile difference... on standard the car will literally crash into some pot holes, on comfort that all but disappears.

No discernible effect on the handling either, with my driving style at any rate.

Had a mooch around the Up! owners forum and seems to be a regular topic to discuss... a few even recommending 30/28 psi.

Might experiment, just to see for myself, but I work on the basis that the car / tyre manufacturers will know better than internet opinion so I don't usually stray from the approved pressures.

Log book came through quite quickly... allowed me to stick on a plate I've had on retention for a few years now.

The MK1 (ultimately to be a Zender Z20) is A91AUX and it's original registration, though it's looking like it'll be a long time before all three of them are going to be side by side.

a19aux.jpg

Cressa, afbiker02 and dodgy like this.