Which Engine to go for?

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by vwbobby, Jan 6, 2014.

1. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi All,

Basically I want to build a engine in the summer to put into my Mk2 Jetta 16v over the winter of 2014 and stuck on a few choices.

Basically these are the choices i am thinking off:

1. VR6 OBD2 (Supercharge or Turbocharge later)
    2. 2.8 V6 24v (Supercharge or Turbocharge later)
    3. ABF 2.0 16v Turbocharged
    4. KR 1.8 16v Turbocharged

I don't know which one to go for, so can someone shed some light and help on this please?

I also have a Turbo Technics Kit for the KR engine and a Audi S2 Inlet Manifold modified to suit the KR, 9A & ABF.

So I was thinking, if I go down the route of the KR or ABF turbo I can utilize these parts, as I was thinking of using the exhaust manifold from the Turbo Technics Kit and the Audi S2 Inlet manifold and make a turbo kit for either the KR or ABF engine?

Correct me if I wrong please, if these two parts can used on both ABF and KR, as I am not 100% sure they will work on the ABF?

Cheers

Bobby

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Depends what you want? ABF turbo is doable as shown by myself, Toyotec, Vw_singh.

Theyre strong engines and you have inlet already. I think it's possible to use TT kit on the ABF too.

Stacked metal gaskets will work for those output levels.

3. vwbobby Forum Member

Interesting, I take it the ABF is a stronger unit than the KR then?

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Unsure of strength comparison. It's a long block, a bit newer. tried and tested to ~300hp.

Click my sig for what's involved.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. vwbobby Forum Member

Cheers mate, just having a read now

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

VR6 2.8 - Good engine great noise. Many of these are a bit worn now though and may need a freshen up.
    Great with a Supercharger i.e. I have VF charged cars with about 270bhp@6400rpm and 240lbft@5000 with 6-8psi at the top end.
    Turbo'd ones are even more naughty with so called T3/T4 cars achieving 360bhp@6000rpm and 380lbft at just a bar of boost.
    24v 2.8 - extra valves means more flow so expect more from the same mods. These engines are also newer than the 12vs.
    Stay away from the early intake VVT only with ME7.1 and get the later twin VVT with ME7.1.1.

ABF 16v -Yes the TT Kit and S2 parts work on the ABF engine no problem.
    Come to Richard's meet and I will see if I can dust off the WOLF R and bring it out of hibernation.
    Get 20v ( Mandeep) to come too. Quite a few of us run 16vTs since the WOLF R was built i.e. Tshirt2K, vwsingh, and also Nige P. Not a bad engine for a sub 350bhp build IMO
    KR 16v - many parts from the S2 fit, but you have to work the engine harder to achieve the same performance as the ABF motor.

20vT Do not discount this engine either. Parts are plenty to build a 350bhp motor. Expect to spend to ensure the engine is robust to rods bending and valve heads breaking.
    Then we looking at hybrid turbos and exhaust manifolds to keep the torque hanging on. Still an option if the price is right.
    HTH.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. vwbobby Forum Member

You knowledge is amazing mate, glad you explained that to me in depth like that, really broke it down for me. :thumbup:

Cheers

Bobby

8. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi Guys how would this sound good for a turbo set up?

KR Engine and head
    ABF cams
    Wosner pistons (unless I can use the 9a pistons, not too sure if I can or nor not?)
    440cc bosh green tops
    02a ctn diesel gearbox
    spec2 clutch
    Lightened and balanced crank/fly
    A tial external wastewater
    Front mounted intercooler
    G60 ECU

Then I can use my turbo kit parts from my Turbo Technics kit and use the Audi S2 Manifold

Would this be a good set up?

Cheers

Bobby

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you're using KR I think S2 pistons will work.

Id not use the Bosch green as they're not designed for multivalve heads. Unless they're different ones.

CTN gearbox isn't the best choice for this type engine IMO. MK3 16v with a diesel 5th works better.

What turbo you thinking?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  10. Admin Guest

Would have to be a 20 valve unit nice and easy, go for the lower cr 225 unit.
    If they did not make a factory 1.8 t I would go for an abf unit and turbo it.

11. vwbobby Forum Member

Ok cool, I will keep all that in mind mate, in regards to the turbo, I have a M24 Hybrid Turbo with a 360 degrees thrust bearing

12. vwbobby Forum Member

I don't want to go for a 20v, as I have a 20v BAM conversion in my Corrado and would like something different to that, don't want the same engine

tshirt2k likes this.
  13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

14. vwbobby Forum Member

Cheers Eddie again for your input there mate, vw legend :thumbup:

15. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi All,

I have bought a ABF engine to turbo, but has no gearbox, what is the best gearbox I can use for this. Also what are the parts I should upgrade to turbo the engine?

This will be a slow build and eventually will be going into my mk2 Jetta 16v

Cheers

Bobby

16. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'd say the original 02a fitted to the ABF's as standard should be more than good enough with this Bobby. :thumbup:

I'm using one on my Mk2 1.8T. You'll just need to source all the bits to convert from rod change to cable change.

17. Gup16v Forum Member

depends what you want from the car, i think there is a gear ratio spreadsheet somewhere on the forum. use that to decide which box is best.

obviously look into exhaust manifolds and downpipes. Seems you might have to knock something up yourself? Cant say ive seen these being available on shelf like the 20v's ie Qpeng and trackslag.

18. vwbobby Forum Member

Cheers Rich will look into that

19. vwbobby Forum Member

Gup16v, I already have the turbo exhaust manifold and inlet for this set up, so that should be fine.

It will be good to see that comparison site though

20. Gup16v Forum Member

ah my bad lol!

cant seem to find but maybe one of the mods know where abouts it is.