Why mk6 gti ed35 not as popular as mk5 ed30?

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by faigolfgti, Dec 13, 2016.

1. faigolfgti Forum Member

As topic above!Why the mk6 golf gti ED35 not so popular and not much discussion in the vw forums compare with mk5 golf gti ED30?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Because it's more modern and people dont want to start trowing money at expensive cars. I don't want to modify my ED35 becuase whatever i spend on it i wont get back.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Reasons,

The new EA888 TSI Gen1 engine and MED 17 Tri core ECU was not as understood or easily accessed as the EA113 TFSI and MED.9.5 ECU that was fitted to the MK5 GTI models.

People still tune these, but the models where soon replaced by the MK7, which has a large following.

Good point that is raised about the MK6 GTIs though.

4. The ANT Forum Member

Ed35s had the mk5 engine didn't they? With the k04? Not the ordinary mk6 tsi

Mk6s are my favourite since the mk2, but they weren't around for long, i think another reason was people liked the ed30 as it was more recognisable from the normal gti.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mat can confirm. The ED35 had the same engine as the R. So a EA113 motor detuned.

6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Yes, the 35's have the ED30 engine so Ko4 but I think there are a few differences or later hardware revisions.

7. Hxrry Paid Member Paid Member

I do love the MK6 ED35's, they're really drive and drive fantastic! I'd have a DSG one for sure, but not a manual as I'm getting lazy lol

8. boraboy Forum Member

By the original question, do you mean now or when first launched.

If you mean when first launched then I have no idea but I doubt it had anything to do with tuning capability it or people not wanting to spend extra modifying

but if you mean why are they now not as popular as the ed30 then that would be the number sold when new, the ed30 sold something like 2200 cars (data from how many left) whereas the the ed35 only sold 750.

so therefore it wont seem anywhere near as popular as the ed30 as there are only a 3rd of the cars on the raod

Question is why didnt the mk6 sell well when new in any of the GTI, ED35 or R ? Maybe it was due to the whole petrol price, bad for environment thing and people bought the TDIs instead

9. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As Boraboy states petrol hothatches just not as popular around then just look at the number of standard mk6 gti's sold compared to Gtd's petrol price, fuel consumption, road tax etc