Widetracking a mk1 for BergCup

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by fthaimike, Jan 13, 2008.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can anyone put up their mods or idea's on the best ways to widen your mk1 front/rear to fill those arches, maybe pool the information here?

I need this information with regards to fitting the Bergcup kits to the mk1 & it would be nice to see how people have done it or seen it & to discuss it for others.

I know about different offset wheels as one option (what sizes?) but what other safe ways would you advise? moving stub axles, using spacers, altering front setups etc.

Any pics would be great.

This is the only pic i had from one of the Pro Berg Cup cars (opel), ignore as no use to us:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/fthaimike/BergCup/2002-15.jpg

All positive comments welcome but people who have had some experience would be great to get some definitive answers & this is for a Mk1.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. yeha Forum Member

That looks like an Opel Kadett. Not a lot there of use to a VW owner. Start by finding out which driveshafts will push the wheel out enough and then create the suspension to work with it.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

(used that more as a wheel spacer pic).

Heard about mk2 drive shafts having same connections but longer? does that force more camber on the wheels?

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I seem to recall the Reeves Mk1 uses standard hubs along with custom made longer(?) driveshafts? Dont forget the wishbones will need to go out further too.

On a similar sounding note, do Porsche 924 wishbones have the same/similar dimensions to a Mk1?

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Just remembered the other thing I'm sure I've seen posted on here before in regards to lengthening the driveshafts, which is to have a spacer in between the inner CV and drive flange from the box.

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. [:$]

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It was me that posted that, good memory :p

I saw it on the blue Dutch mk1 that is pictured in the rear wide track thread started by Altern8.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152159&highlight=dutch

Sadly many of the pics are no longer on the Dutch Roma tuning site.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92767&highlight=roma

However, found this link http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=4OFFYVOG

Near the bottom you can see a pic of the front from underneath, drive shaft in rh top corner of pic.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

This one:

[​IMG]

Was that because he kept his mk1 drive shafts?

9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

yeh i think dave made a spacer between his cv's and box .

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The track rod arms need to be lengthened too.
    Also, negative camber increases so the camber adjustment on the base of the shocks needs consideration as there isn't enough free adjustment on standard fit shocks.

Gurds

12. prof Forum Addict

Mike, the mk1 driveshafts appear about the same length as mk2 ones, it's just the mk1s have much more compact outer CVs

longer custom wishbones and ground control type top mounts would be handy, I'm not sure if those AW tracksport wishbones were just mk2 only?

wider track is good news be well worth trying to scheme it up.

*krom* on vortex appears to have done some wild thinks with mk1 suspension

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

sounds good any links or info would be good to pool here.

At the moment most people seem to be going for spacers / low et, would be nice to see other options.

14. seanlazyass Forum Member

I'd avoid spacers and lower et wheels if you want to keep the correct suspension geometry.

To do it properly you'll need- longer steering arms, longer driveshafts or spacers between cv and diff, adjustable wishbones and adjustable topmounts.

I'm hoping to do this on my mk2 during the summer.

15. prof Forum Addict

the mk1 is made out of old crisp packets, so 9" wide wheels and sticky tyres will have your bulkhead flexing badly, it'd need a good lot of thought on how to help it survive

search for Ultimate driveline on vortex, and for balljoint extenders, seems to be loads of pics etc. But i can't get the search to work, read it all the other day

16. prof Forum Addict

easy on the mk2, vr6 5 stud or passat/mk3 non gti parts

17. jc.. Forum Member

though there was a porsche (928?) steering rack that allowed for longer steering arms and a quicker rack? may be wrong

18. seanlazyass Forum Member

I know, but I want adjustable topmounts to fine tune camber and caster and for correct scrub radius. Plus I may be after more than 16mm either side, hence the longer drive shafts needed. Going to do some calculations before I decide. But got a Formula Student suspension setup to design first! :p

19. prof Forum Addict

mk4 driveshafts and TT wishbones, and modded swivel hubs? you can get very nice and highly adjustable top mounts for mustangs, sure these could be adapted

20. yeha Forum Member

[anorack mode]
    That's actually the standard width. It's an after market hub that allows the use of Ford RS2000 discs as at the time Opel didn't have a compatible vented disc that could be used. The arms are standard Kadett.
    [/anorack mode]

The mk3 driveshafts have the same inner CV as I'm using some on my 1300. I can have a look to see if the outers have the same spline. They are definitely longer.

Depending on how much longer they are it may be possible to use the standard upright and top mount and still have a camber of around 1.5 degrees but with more available rather than less.

At the bottom, it's not too difficult to extend the bottom arm by cutting it in half, spacing it out and then adding suitable bracing to get the strength back or alternatively copying the works Nova uniball system with a spherical bearing in a housing that mounts in the standard balljoint position but has the bearing further out. This would also allow you to put the joint in it's correct position to retain the suspension geometry.