Will Loctite retain a wheel with stripped splines?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Richard Connah, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Richard Connah New Member

I am currently working on a Triumph Spitfire. One of the wheel studs has stripped most of its own splines and rounded out its hole on the flange plate.
    Pulling the plate isn't likely (I don't really want to buy an expensive Puller for one job, and they are a total b*stard to get off!).
    Tack welding the stud might be an option, but I'm not a welder!
    But then I came across a post on your forum called
    Loctite info thread - StuMc was involved in the discussion.
    Does anyone know if this would work? The new stud is going to be a reasonably close fit in the hole. Would something like Loctite 603 (or similar) bond with sufficient strength to withstand my torque wrench when I refit the hub and spline adaptor (the Spit has 'knock off' wire wheels so isn't secured directly by the studs).
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Has the stud got a flange on the back to stop it coming out of the hub?. If so Red Locktite may be worth a go.

If the stud is just threaded into the hub then no way would I entertain it, a helicoil or Timesert repair at that point.

Any pictures of the hub/ stud?.

3. Richard Connah New Member

Hi. Yes there is a flange on the head of the stud. I'll upload some photos. Just trying to connect a new braided brake hose at the moment.

KeithMac likes this.