Winter project

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Just sorned my baby. Winter project is replace steering rack and lower arms, all engine mounts and crossmember bushes. Also if I can get it in under the radar front discs and rear axle bushes. Anyone else got winter jobs to do?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Just general maintenance for me.

Joehough likes this.
  3. Joehough

It is all in bits now, the rack is well buggered, leaking pinion seal, the splined collar is loose, so that's the cause of the play at steering wheel. Also the actual rack is loose enough that it rotates a fair bit compared to the new one. Also both rear engine mounts soft compared to new ones so hopefully that will solve the clunk.

DN5 likes this.
  4. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds a nice little winter project to be getting on with. Did I put the mount in with the rack? If not I'll have one in the garage for you.
    My winter project will be getting the motor tuned up finally over at Darkside Developments :p can't wait! But first to give the spongy brakes another once over...

5. Joehough

Yes thanks, just need some spare time to paint subframe and new lower arms with hammerite smooth, also paint calipers and the bits of new discs that can be done, then back together with new engine mounts. Might leave front mount for now if the clunk goes away.

6. Joehough

DN5 what tuning work are you doing?

7. DN5

Will keep you busy if you don't rush through it all like I would haha.
    I'm Tdi so bigger injectors, map sensor and they will make me a new chip for the remap. Just having a braking issue still - very spongy pedal.

8. Joehough

Could be your master cylinder

9. DN5

Changed the master, calipers, new brake lines all round etc. Lost for ideas [:[]

10. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Have you checked all the rubber brake hoses to see if you have one bulging under pressure I have had this before on my t4 I didn't really feel the brakes spongy but you never know or a faulty brake servo or hose. Otherwise have you still got air in the system if you've lost a lot of fluid out it's sometimes difficult to bleed fully did you use a pressure bleeding type ? One thing I remember when my dad had a Bedford cf motor caravan we had done some work on the brakes and bled all the system several times over but still kept getting a spongy pedal my dad had heard about jamming the brake pedal down overnight had sorted out a similar problem so thought we might as well tried it we left it for about 15 hours I think ( it was many years ago ) anyway when we tried it again perfect pedal, all the spongy feel had gone so I presume any air had gone back up through the master cylinder to the reservoir at a guess but it worked.

11. DN5

That's interesting to know.
    Funnily enough I think that the issue lies with the only 2 brake flexis that I haven't swapped for braided. Problem is I can't find any braided hoses anywhere that fit over the rear beam. Any help there much appreciated!

It has been power bled numerous times so I'm sure the issue must be with these hoses. Next job is to see if they bulge, just need a helper!

*managed to find some hoses from goodridge*

P.s sorry to hijack this thread!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. Joehough

Anyone know torque figures for engine/gearbox mounts to subframe and engine to mounts?

Cheers
    Joe
    Ps dn5 did you sort your spongy brakes?

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

'think automotive' will provide any flexi you need, ideally to a pattern
    good service from them
    Jon

DN5 likes this.
  14. DN5

Ordered the braided hoses so will be fitting them next week :)

15. Joehough

Clunk sorted, it was front mount completely buggered. Have fitted a set of eibach springs, but they are creaking when I turn the steering, anyone know if this will go away, or could it be a symptom of buggered top mounts? I think I may have over tightened them with impact driver.

16. Joehough

Just failed MOT, it has got right hand drive headlights fitted (not my doing) so have ordered some genuine Hellas. No advisorries and examiner very complimentary about the car. Finally got paid membership to work, so will post some pics soon.

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Would it pass temporarily if it had stickers over the glass?

18. Joehough

Dunno but I have just ordered a pair of Hellas

Attached Files:

19. DN5

Looks very tidy!

20. Joehough

Thanks, I just decided to get a new lockset and ignition barrel housing, that also has top bearing for steering column, there was a bit of play in the bearing, so steering should be perfect when done, so thanks for the rack