Wiring questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Gavsdad, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Gavsdad

Gavsdad Paid Member Paid Member

Bought a G reg 8v gti a couple of months ago, slowly getting it sorted. Couple of electrical questions, the knock sensor wasn't fastened to the block! Fastened it back to block Doesn't look the best, testing it, there is no continuity between any of the 3 connections (I'm assuming it's a coil?) understand it act as a microphone, so should there be. Also the Hall sensor, when I got the car there is an external wire running from the connector at the distributor to the ecu. The guy said there was a break in the harness somewhere and simply ran another wire, question being is there anything else in circuit between the distributor and the ecu that has been dropped out by using the external wire?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the knock sensor looks bad, just replace it. they are cheap new or if you have a good scrappy local mk34 golf and 90s audi ones will work. make sure you clean the bolt head & thread, buff the blcok where it attaches so its clean and flay then bolt it up to 20nm.

just 3 wires from ecu direct to the hall sensor

Gavsdad likes this.
  3. Gavsdad

Gavsdad Paid Member Paid Member

Decided to replace as you say,however they are usually coloured either blue or green, mine is white! After being in touch with Mark at ClassIc VW he tells me it is the same as the blue! So ordered that and other bits off him. The other case with the replaced wire from the hallsensor to ECU, decided to trace wiring and found two breaks in wire about 300mm from the distributor end of wire, managed to sort out by extending wire and get rid of the external wire which worked but looked awful. Used fabric harness tape to put things back to normal and looks good

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep blue is the replacement for the older white one :)

the colour coding just refers to the length 9 times out of 10, so if it reaches the plug you're fine. Mine had a 2.0 8v audi one from scrappy all good. Good work on the wire repair :thumbup: