Wishbones seam welded...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Tubthumped, Oct 20, 2004.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

And are you implying Im not qualified and that I pull comments from my arce???????

2. edc1 Forum Member

Different dampers and springs on a Corrado? Stronger chassis?

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Thank f**k for that, my point exactly........so the fact that the track is wider will not adversely affect the handling given the following alterations.......

4. Golden Forum Junkie

That's the whole point, I suggest you go away and read the whole thread before posting, yet again, without reading it.

Once more for the cheap seats.

Prof orginally asked what the effects of putting longer wishbones on an otherwise standard car would be.

5. Golden Forum Junkie

I'm not implying anything, what I state in this thread is engineering fact, I'm not some half pint expert down the pub, venturing an opinion over a beer.

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Im well aware of the full thread because Ive been following it for the last couple of days, most is informative, some is sh1t but the last generalisation about the track is just plain wrong in the way you presented it and for some of the so called sheep could be misconstrued.

The next thing youd hear on here is someone saying theres no way a MK2 with wide arms will handle........would you agree with that statement???? (generalisation)

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

And you think your above question???? And I need to be qualified to what degree to have an opinion??????

I didnt say the theory was wrong but you over simplified things to the point where anyone who didnt know there head from there arce would question your statement but probably darent because they didnt have enough general knowledge

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

I think i need to perform a scientific experiment to solve the wide track mystery.

I'll convert one side of the suspension to wide track and leave the other standard.

Then i shall see which direction it corners better in, and that shall determine the best setup :)

9. Golden Forum Junkie

So who should the less informed listen to, me who states engineering fact, or you who's only technical statement is "well it's alright on the Corrado"?

I try and help as many people as I can understand the workings of vehicle engineering. I cannot write a book every time I write a reponse to a thread. I try to aim the information I give at the middle level of understanding. If someone is too stupid to understand my original statement then I suggest they don't go messing with their suspension.

The only generalisation I made was that

"putting longer wishbones (just the wishbones) on a VW FWD will have the adverse effects of lowering the roll centre (increasing body roll), altering the scrub radius and kpi, effecting steeering feel, self centring and turn in"

All of that is engineering fact, it's not a generalisation, or an opinion, its fact.

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

You did that once and look at the results .......

[​IMG]

11. Golden Forum Junkie

I rest my case, clearly caused by increased track :lol: :lol:

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I didnt stick my had above the parapet and claim to be the fountain of all knowledge, Ive just pointed out that a wider track car with the same suspension pick up points as a MK2 will not give the same handling characteristics as you describedfact!

What you should have said is that by altering the track other considerations should be made or it could cause the following handling characteristics..easy, not exactly war and peace is it???

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I dont know about anyone else but I find some of your comments quite condescending, who do you think we all are ????????????

14. Golden Forum Junkie

Why TF should I say that, that wasn't the original question.

The original question, for the 3rd or 4th time, was will longer wishbones effect the spring rates.

I wrote yes, and stated the other effects.

Why are you suggesting I should have written a different reply to a question that was never asked?

No one asked, "what needs to be altered to use increased track".

I refer you to my earlier post, I can't write a book every time I post a reply to cover everyones level of knowledge.

If you like I could stop posting here and go else where, but apart from the fact that I'm a club member, there are one or two people here that appriciate my help and think I might have a slight clue what I'm talking about.

15. Golden Forum Junkie

What's condecending is smart arse sarcastic posts, shall we look at your first post on this thread......

Plenty of engineering based argument there.

"My cars wider than a MK2"
    "A highly developed track special with differnt suspension has increased track and works ok"

I'm not being condecending to anyone, as it only seems to be you that's confused by my original statement.

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Why dont you pick your dummy back up off the floor.

You took issue at peoples generalisation at the fact they said that cars wouldnt handle with 17s on but when someone take issues with your generalisation about widening the track you dont like it.....

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Closer to the truth than your original statement :lol:

My first comment was tongue in cheek about there being no help for me hence the smiles but you obviously take yourself a little too seriously

18. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Sorry for the thread hijack Tub, it did start as a question about welded suspension arms........a long while back

19. Golden Forum Junkie

Why do you keep suggesting I made a generalisation?

I stated engineering fact.

I think your point, which you yourself don't seem to be able to communicate, is you feel I should have quailified my answer.

My answer only required qualifiying had the question been fraised differently, which it wasn't.

Now you're using the "I was only joking, you're a bit arsey" defence.

I clearly asked if you were mocking me to which you quoted your own post, affirming that you were.

Then wonder why I then point out the errors in your posts.

I'm going to bed, you make me sad.

20. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I must be wrong because your obviously your never wrong:thumbd: