wtf is goin on

Discussion in '16-valve' started by vinnietheradoboi, Apr 13, 2009.

1. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

i have just rebuilt my 9a big end, bacik in car timin set started abit juderry but dizzy adjusted, was runnin sweet,but then started knockin and was runnin ****, so sump was dropped and rocker cover removed and rotated engine to see if i could see anythin obvious but all tight and cushty, oil pump pumpin ect, now all back together all lead back on started no problem sweet as a nut but now oil light wont go out aned i cannot figure out wat the **** is goin on, some one advise me please

2. jamez Forum Member

did you prime the oil pump when re-fitting it?

3. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

yea turned engine on starter for 20 sec

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Fit an oil gauge so that you can see what the oil pressure really is.

Have you refitted the oil pressure sensor wiring properly?

The knocking is a big worry, especially considering you have just rebuilt the block, but it's hard to tell from your post whether it is an actual engine knock you heard or if it was something less worrying. Is there anything that you changed that you believe cured the poor running? For example, I once had what I thought was an awful bottom-end knock from an ABF engine, only to discover that it was a loose spark plug that caused the K-Jet inlet flap to bang up and down...!

So is your oil pressure LED illuminated when the engine is just idling? Or is it coming on (possibly along with the buzzer) just at higher RPM?

If the oil light stays on even at idle, then it can only either be: (1) The oil pump isn't really primed or pumping. (2) You screwed up the rebuld and your bearings are f*cked, causing low pressure. (3) Your low pressure oil sensor isn't connected properly.

Regarding number 3, there are two oil pressure sensors. A low pressure one (0.3 bar if I remember right) and a high pressure one (1.8 bar I think). They are both located on the top of the oil cooler housing that holds your oil filter.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this isnt enough in some cases, you need to physiucally unbolt the oil pump and fill it with oil whilst spinning the drive gear before it primes. reason is if the pump is dry it cant get enough suction to pump oil.

6. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

tell me bout it bein a big worry i spent alot off money, i dont think its a bottom end knock because wen i dropped sump the was no bearing broken up in sump, and no play in rodd ends. i have been told it might be a stickin valve making the noise? the oil light comes on after bout 10 sec idle, i filled pump with oil before i put it back in yesterday. i have checked switches and replaced them few months back. but it is and intermitent knock some times its there other times not, which makes me think sticky valve

7. rubjonny

ah thats different, if it goes out then comes back on then you do have oil pressure at first, perhaps the oil is thinning out too much when hot. what oil did you put in?

I had the same issue on my 8v when i had worn cam caps, oil lighgt would come on when oil was hot. but that was measured at the head rather than on filter housing which is a more true reading of oil pressure direct from oil pump. This means you should start worrying, low pressure at the filter housing means the pump is suspect, oil too thin or bottom end is in a bad way!

8. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

i put in 10w40 which was what i was told i needed. but surley if bottom end was on its way out there would be evidence of this in the sump surley

9. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

okokok now i feeel like a right dick, there is no oil pumo problem becuase i was lookin at the rong light on dash board, the wasnt enough water in there, but now the knockin has gona away completey

10. rubjonny