WUR differences

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Turk, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Turk New Member

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any differences between an 8v WUR to a 16v WUR.

Recently my WUR went wrong and was over fueling when the car reached temperature. (this is on a kr 16v engine) I changed the WUR with a spare I found in the garage, the only difference was my old 1 had a vacuum hose going into it and the new 1 I bolted on doesn't.

The car runs fine with this on, but I had to block the vacuum hose which would have gone to the WUR for it to run. Will this cause any issues?

I cant remember correctly, but I read somewhere the fueling is different at higher revs on a 16v to an 8v?

Thanks for the help
    Turk

2. mk2bal Forum Member

From what I've read the 8v and 16v are different? Though some people use a 16v on an 8v, I wasn't sure the other way round was possible.. Maybe you have an early 16v one (not sure if they had the vac take off). I'm sure someone else can confirm, or give us the part number off it?

3. mk216vrick Forum Member

4. Turk New Member

I will check on the part numbers I have for both WUR's and see what i find out.

Is there any danger in running a 8v WUR on a 16v? Does it under fuel the car at top end?

5. alexisblades99 Forum Member

As far as I can tell, the vacuum-operated full load enrichment of the 16v WUR allows the control pressure to drop when manifold pressure rises under full throttle operation, giving a richer mixture. With the 8v WUR the control pressure stays the same regardless of load, so assuming both WURs' warm control pressures are the same at idle, it will run leaner under full load with the 8v WUR than with the 16v WUR. Whether this will result in damaging amounts of underfuelling I couldn't say.

You say your WUR went wrong, resulting in overfuelling. Have you checked for a vac leak in the pipe? How do you know it was overfuelling?

6. Turk New Member

Thanks for the information. I'll probably look to geting an original with vac.

I broke the other by pulling it apart and failed to put it back together correctly. Ran perfectly until the engine reached temp and then started dumping fuel in. Revs couldn't go past 4k on the range and it was popping constant flames. Checked the plugs and the were soaked, after that it wouldn't start until it dried out.

Oh well, it was worth a laugh at the time

cheers
    Turk

7. Turk New Member

the WUR I have running on the engine at the moment has a part number 438 140 118. Can anyone tell me if this will be ok to keep using?

I checked the other thread about part numbers but couldnt see this 1

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

That is from an 8v GTI ... and as `alex` says above may not provide the correct fuelling.

As you will know from your failed unit you require a 0 438 140 140.