WUR Query

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Gaz37, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've just bought a 16v WUR off Ebay & am intending to fit it to my 8v, I've read the sticky on how to reset the sytem pressure but have two questions-

The 16v WUR has an tube to attach a vacuum hose to, I was planning on fitting a Y connector to the ignition vacuum advance hose & using this for the WUR, will this work?

If I fit the 16v WUR to my 8v without resetting/checking the system pressure what is the worse case scenario?

Thanks

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

worst case if you dont reset the pressures...poor running hot and cold due to it being too weak/rich

i wouldnt fit it until you can ajust the pressures and check the c/o

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

vac tube on wur is a fair bit chunkier than that, I'd connect it to the breather pipes perhaps. Not that it had a vac control connection on there before so prob be alright to leave it off anyway.

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

5. watty1974 Forum Member

Gaz

Have just bought a 16v WUR to fit to my 8v, have you fitted yours yet? if so how did you get on? I need some adjustment hence a WUR, do you have any pics of it fitted?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I recently did this on the track Scirocco... from memory...

I fitted it upside down, to stop the vac pipe fouling on ... whatever's to the right of it... so the vac pipe comes out to the left.

The braided hoses and so on fit fine.

I routed the vac pipe (using 8mm fuel hose I think) to one of the vac hoses round the inlet manifold. I used the one that's meant to go to the back of the head, as the head I'm using doesn't have that connection. It's cable tied up out of the way, to avoid melting the hose on the engine. It runs behind the water hose that's next to it. I had a box of T-Pieces from Halfords, that I thought would do the job, but none of them is actually the right size. If you need a T-Piece, get down the scrappy.

When I fitted it, without any adjustment (although I did drill the back of it, in case I needed to), the air:fuel ratio went from about 14:1 to 12.5:1. It may just be the individual WUR I used, but it did make a significant difference.

BTW, I'm running a fairly high spec 2.0 8v (285 cam, pack d head, high compression), so if your engine is only mildly modified, it may need leaning out a bit, to avoid running too rich.

Oh yeah, and you need the longer bolts from the 16v WUR.

7. watty1974 Forum Member

Thanks Mike, I have bought a 16v WUR and want to fit it to my 8v Slick50 spec engine, as i have been told by Stealth that this will work well, due to the adjustment. I have got the bolts, so you found it be better on your engine? Have you got over the 'choking' issues?

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's a lot better than it was, but I haven't found the time to fine-tune it yet, and do some more runs on 'Dynolicious' on my iPhone, to see if it reckons it's got more power. I've got another dizzy to try as well, once I adapt the loom to fit the different hall sender plug.

I suspect it'll get another 20 hp on megasquirt, and a decent inlet tract.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict