X-flow head & T/Bs or 2L 16v..

Discussion in '16-valve' started by chrismc, Jul 31, 2004.

1. mk1. Forum Junkie

2. H8SV8S Forum Member

I like the crossflow t/b idea - be different!!

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have a rebuilt 90spec 8v box with diff at the mo but find the ratios a tad too long. Its using a 3.6 final drive but am looking into using the 3.94 out of another vw box such as the f code boxes. Just have to find out wether they will fit.

One month old and I am already slipping the 8v clutch!!!! [:x]
    Make sure you get an uprated one.
    Edited by: vw_singh

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

xflow on throttles you could always use them later on if u deicide a differnt engine cant you ?

5. jc.. Forum Member

I take it N/A is your only option here then?

Keep your engine and get bodies before you consider crossing to the dark side (16 of the devils valves)

or get a bahn brenner screw compressor kit and give the 20v boys a run for the money!!!

6. ianb Forum Member

Chris

Speak with Adrian or Graham at TSR re this conversion.

Mindblowing.

Guy from Germany was running this set up on a solid lifter cross flow head and Bill's TBH's 304 cam etc

Massive torque as well as 16V grunt at the top

Nice conversion and different too.

Ianb

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

Sounds promising :thumbup: Wonder what it'd sound like?

8. madmk4 Forum Member

There was on at a tsr rolling road day and made 170odd bhp ATW IIRC... :clap:

Sounded quite nice, it was on throttle bodies..

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Ive had a chat with TSR & they suggested keeping my existing Schrick 276 cam if I use a HYD x-flow head with the TBs..

Might be a few BHP short of a solid lifter/Schrick 304 set up, but budget constraints need to be considered when I will also have to purchase a rebuilt 'box with Quaife ATB, power clutch & all the odd & s*ds to get it all up & running... [:s]

10. rradogolfman Forum Member

if ya sell your 8v head let me know, would be good for joes car,,,
    put the diff in and suspension mods then track it again, it will make a huge difference to how fast you can go round the track, ;)

saw that 8v cross flow at the rr day at tsr it was awesome!!

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Id probably do it all as a oner Olly!!

Maybe get the motor sorted first with the Quaife & then fit the suspension afterwards....but before I go anywhere near a track again.. ;)

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

Ive sent an e-mail to Badger Bill about a T/B setup!

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

reply sent :)

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

Thanks for your swift reply Bill [:D] ;)

15. matt d Forum Member

I know of a valver on throttle bodies that might be going on the market very shortly.

16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Watch out for RobT's t'bodies monstor on my ITB's....proves they work a treat. Well impressive all round figures..

Kinda hear it before you see it from initial response from Rob... LOL RoAr :lol:

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Bill's DTH 45mm TB's are now holding my motor back for ultimate top end power but what they have done is given a mega - and I really mean MEGA - midrange. Same spec engine as mine fitted with DCOE-style 48mm TBs on a manifold, rather than direct to head (which places the injector further away from the valve as well as being a larger bore passage) has 15-18 bhp more top end (>7K) but looses out in the mid. Roller barrel 45's, again on a manifold, gain 15 at the top. As my car is used primarily for sprinting and not circuit racing, I have initially gone for midrange over top end. Bill tells me however that the 45mm DTH bodies will bore to 48mm so maybe thats something I will try as an evolution.

The DTH design also gives better throttle response compared with bodies on a manifold.

All these figs are backed up by Dyno testing.

I seem to recall Graham Vanstone's 2L 20V N/A engine is on >50mm ITB's - and certainly has a mega top end - but never seen any plots of it to say what its like in the mid.

Nice bit of kit those badger bodies, very nice on a road-enabled car - if anyone needs a set of injectors for upto 210hp to fit these I have a spare set - high impedance Peugeot Gp A.

Cheers

Rob
    Edited by: RobT

18. ianb Forum Member

So what are the figures Rob ??
    Have you got any dyno plots?

I've been looking at one of TSR's race spec cars which combines a Schrick Solid Lifter head Schrick 304 cams a proper VW Motorsport metering head and Motec or DTA mapping.

I use mine for track and fast road but you can successfully use a 9A with beefed up internals which mine has without going to steel internals.

One of there old race cars ran this successfully time after time.This will give me better power for track use but I'm not sure about torque. I've been around Coombe in the said vehicle and it was awesome....revving to 8800 rpm very strong between 5-8500.

or should I go IHI on the MK4

Decisions decisions.

Ian

19. setgti Forum Member

What about using the counterflow head you have with throttle bodies? That's what I'm doing.

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi Ian

I have (engine) dyno plots but no RR plots yet - my local rollers wouldnot run it to full throttle last week as I had no airbox fitted then and it was just too noisy - all his neighbours had windows open being hot weather and he didn't want to urine them off - a bit quieter now I have filtration fitted. Dyno figs were >230hp ;). And this is not a peaky motor at all. Still needs fuel and ignition setting up properly though - ECU was sent back to me with a map that was done on Dyno so still needs fettling now engine is in car (with my exhaust / airfilter etc). Not quite sure what to make of it yet but its certainly got some go when the revs rise - bit of a pig <3K (but finer mapping should make this better).

Its a tough call this road car / track car balance - mine is getting a bit much now for road use. May just bite the bullet and take it off the road this year - and then go really mad on it !

I am also reliably told that a stock bottom end will go to 8.5K - with decent bolts - steel crank needed for >8.5K. Of course as revs rise, lighter bits like forged pistons and steel rods will improve matters - less frictional losses etc (and give more 'confidence' factor).

NA vs Turbo - whatever - completely different animals - whatever floats y' boat - me I like atmo's for track and turbo's for road.

Cheers

Rob
    Edited by: RobT