Xflow inlet flange, Prototype made!!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Apr 14, 2012.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Any suggestions? I did find some but lost the links!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. danster Forum Addict

Are you still on this. :lol:

If you want alloy then just buy and 1.6 AFT or 2.0 APK lower inlet manifold and cut it up.

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I'm still on this, I like the Urst manifolds but not the price tag, and I have most if the bits but not the flanges, I actually considered a dcoe style manifold.

4. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Have you had a look at Roland site Alan. They do a big range of VW manifolds and a few for the Xflow inc one to take the Toyota ITB's. I've got one of their DCOE manifolds and the quality is ok. I'm sure they ship to the UK.

http://www.manifolds.co.za/

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi Alan...

I'll have a DCOE manifold done soon to suit the crossflow heads if that helps...if your making a plenum then I'm sure I can help with the flange too.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sound like i might be getting somewhere, also had an email from a guy on ebay who reckons he has a flange, but wants a couple of pics.

i have two plans, 1 a long runner plenum, and 2 a adapter plate to see if the supervee ITBs can be fitted.

7. Ratfink89 New Member

If you want I have a drawing of the complete 'foot' of the manifold including injector bosses.

it's currently in solidworks 2011, but I could export it into a drawing and save as a universal file in my lunch break tomorrow.

it'll probably be a .dwg file or .IGES

I can just condense it into a single plate or 3 sections (#1, #2&3 and #4 flange) if that's all you need and then you can get them laser/warterjet cut

let me know :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

a dwg of the flange would be great, i have just found out a place we use at work for laser cutting is ran by VW nut!!

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

got some samples made from ratfink's (thnaks very much) drawings, fit spot on maybe a bit tight, but thats cos the bolt holes are just big enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Should i make this hole bigger?? it exactly the same as the standard head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

like i say 3mm samples before i get some proper ones cut. any suggestions on any modifications.

10. Ratfink89 New Member

Awesome [:D] mebbe make the bolt holes 9mm? that's plenty of clearance for M8 bolts, there is plenty of space for modification too ;)

It's nice to know my drawings are accurate, i was a bit worried they'd be completely wrong. Who do you use for laser cutting? and can they flame cut?

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

It's a company we use at work from stockton in tees,

The drawings were great thanks

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

now to start on the drawing of the adapter plate.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bump! Did you ever get a final version of these, Al?

14. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yes mate got a few sets sat in the garage

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Want to sell a set, or tell me who supplied in the end? Appreciate a PM. [:D] ... or feel free to make it public if you want to offer it more widely - whatever you prefer.

Background to this is that I think I'm going to fit the bike ITBs I've got onto the X-Flow head, rather than get a custom plenum manifold made up. I have the ITBs, just need the flanges and hand that over to my tame Ally Welder, along with the ally tube I've already got

Are the inlet length calculations I did for a plenum still valid for ITBs, or does it not matter with open induction?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was going to use plastic drain pipe for the air box, with a big cone filter on the end [:D] EDIT: Or maybe even an adapted Mk3 8v Ally rocker cover. There's a gasket freely available for it ;)

I'd calculated that I needed about 12.5" from the end of the inlet runner to the back of the valve - aiming for 5.5-6k rpm peak torque, on a plenum setup. Is it the same for ITB runners? Might be a struggle to fit that in, I think, on a straight shot manifold. I'm prepared to chop the slam panel and move the rad forward to make room though.

I reckon I can drop the rad support panel a bit as well, but not enough to fit a whole manfold over the top of them. Bonnet bulge, anyone?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013