Yeah!! Intermittent starting Gti solved!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Joker, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Joker Forum Member

Mark II 8v PB engine GTi

Yeah!!

Finally fixed the car that was close to breaking my heart.

Towards the end, I got virtually no responses from the Forum, which was not surprising, as the intermittent problems with the starting and running had exhausted all the normal remedies.

So, just for the record, here goes:

The car was a *ugger to start and just turned without catching. I replaced dizzy cap, rotor, leads, rocker cover bung, fuel filter, blue temperature sender and all vac pipes, the car was strobe timed and set up as rubjonny suggested. The only thing not done was the co2 mixture, I'll be taking it to the garage for that.

The car started intermittently, but there was a pattern to it, it would start on the second attempt, but not the third. so if you attempted to start it 4 times, it would fire on 2nd and 4th attempt. when the car was driven it would stall immediately, even moreso in reverse. The only way to keep it from doing so was keeping the reves at 2500+, not good.

Concerning the stalling, the injector rail wires were to blame, but this was the first thing I checked, the break was just further up and each time the engine moved under load, it jarred them loose. A connection later, happy days!

As for the weird starting problem, I have a Toad immobilser fitted and concluded it must be related to the Toad box.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=231707&highlight=toad+immobiliser

Thank you animaniac for this tip. I gave the box a few light punches and it starts on the button every time.

It feels so good to have my Gti back.

Until the next time.;)

Joker

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. pigbladder Forum Addict

so cut it out and throw it in a bin before it leaves you stranded somewhere