Young mechanic (mk2 driver to abf questions)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KristianBG, May 24, 2020.

1. KristianBG New Member

Hello. I am planning to do an abf conversion into my mk2 1.6 driver .Gathered a lot of threads ,but couldnt find answers for certain things :
    1. Can I keep the 1.6 8v(5 speed manual 190 mm clutch) gearbox or find 1.8PB 8v or KR gearbox ,because i dont want to use hydraulic clutch/pedal box
    2.Can I keep the car without power steering wheel (if it is possible )
    3.Do I need to change the fuel tank or I can use the mk2 fuel tank.
    Most of the threads are helpful but the mechanical terms are a lot different than my first language and sometimes I find it harder to understand exactly what to do :lol::thumbup:

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1, yes, ratios probably won’t be great.

2, yes non PS is fine. My ABF Mk2 didn’t have it.

3, you’ll need to change the fuel tank.

any questions just ask :)

3. KristianBG New Member

Thank you . Is the 1.6 gearbox strong/good enough for daily /street driving (i am 19y old , gonna push the pedal to the metal ..sometimes, :lol:) ,because the clutch is only 190mm ?

4. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I'm using a mk1 1.6 020 box in my mk2 scirocco running ABF and its fine, it has been rebuilt with a quaife diff though, you should be good, easy enough to swap out if you have any trouble with it

KristianBG likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the 020 gearboxes are the same in terms of strength, just got to worry about the ratios. you would want a mk1/2 1.8 8v/16v carb/gti 210mm flywheel though so you can fit a 1.8 8v 210mm clutch though.

a gti or 16v gearbox will give you better ratios though as the 1.6 carb box is a bit tall, good for a GT car but acceleration will be blunted. you could fit the mk3 abf gearbox then fit the SEAT cable conversion kit to it:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...art-numbers-with-clutch-cable-bracket.107068/

would need mk2 gti driveshafts and the mk3 gear shifter to go with it or go for mk4 02j setup instead

3. it depends what fuel system you want, can fit mk2 gti main pump, lines and lifter pump with he 1.6 tank, but finding a good mk2 main pump is tricky and usually expensive. the easier route is fit mk3 golf route. can use the tank, lines, rear wiring & filter carrier from any petrol engine mk3 just the pump needs to be from a gti, 16v or vr6.

make sure you get a roll bar fitted, as its a subframe drop job now is the ideal time :)

erreesse and KristianBG like this.
  6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

1. I would strongly suggest running a GTI 8v (ACD or AUG) or a KR (2Y) gearbox for best performance. I once made the mistake of fitting a few non GTI 020 gearboxes to KR and ABF engines and you do not what that drive feel.
    2. That is up to you. The first PAS MK2 car I drove years ago is why I would not have another without.
    3. Already answered.

erreesse and KristianBG like this.
  7. KristianBG New Member

Thank you a lot , lets the search begins !

Mk2daz likes this.
  8. KristianBG New Member

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice :)

KristianBG likes this.
  10. KristianBG New Member

[​IMG]
    The workstation [:D]:o

11. KristianBG New Member

Little update

Attached Files:

1990 likes this.
  12. KristianBG New Member

13. KristianBG New Member

After 6 months of exams , technical university stuff , we are ready to start .:thumbup:[:D]