filters

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by smartboyo, Dec 24, 2015.

1. smartboyo Forum Member

hey am running mark two golf with 9a lump and have big rad in so i have very little clearance in front of my trumpets normal use car for track days so dont run air fiters but am in middle of setting the car up for some rallycross , so am worryed about swallowing a stone , mud, havent much room so k n filters are out but socks wood fit any one here running any type am i better use ing 4 socks or two twin socks , is there any risk so the socks falling apart from the engine sucks air throw thanks for any input j

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Socks are a last resort. They're really only good for 40ish bhp per choke. A slimline airbox would be tge job, with a filter on the end.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have tried 'slimline' airboxes a couple of times and webers do some strange things if the gap in front isn't 30mm plus.
    Basically I have tried and failed twice on this.
    If you have a go and are successful, please publish your design, for the greater good of understanding.
    One of my solutions to this common problem has been to turn the air through 90 degrees using sorg trumpets rather than straight ones , cut a hole in the bonnet for a downdraft air filter.
    pm me if you want more info, or if anybody else is interested I will share the design I have in this thread or maybe another one.
    Socks? I have used them, as a last resort. Singles and twins. You cannot run open intakes on rallycross (experience)
    Jon

4. smartboyo Forum Member

lol new this wood of been to easy .so socks only if realy stuck then was thinking may be mouting some sort guard onto of the rad cover just in front of intakes , will all so have sump guard on which will hopefully cut down on stuff flying up yhank you for you input ill have to do some head scratching j

5. Tristan

Talk to the ever so helpful guys in ITG. True enthusiasts, and interested in VAG cars.

6. smartboyo Forum Member

thanks tristan just been on there web, sit do socks just not let enough air thro

7. Tristan

They're just a last resort. They don't last, they restrict the trumpet, and you get loads of hot air in still.
    Even if you don't see what you need exactly on their site, call them. They knock out custom stuff all the time.

8. smartboyo Forum Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015