MK4 Golf Climatronic install into MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

OK 3B1907044J is specific to passat 01-05, and since powering up the pins manually doesnt get you anywhere looks like you may have to swap it for earlier version :(

mine is part number 3B2907044C (You'll be looking for 3B1907044C for LHD models, not that it makes a huge difference) and soft coding is 01000 for 'Golf' There's another code for Passat which I forget but vagcom shows you, on the older panels this changes the way it works slightly but doesnt change it to a can-bus capable unit I dont think... I'll do some digging when I get a minute. Who knows maybe I can enable can-bus by changing mine to code 17000 :lol:

one thing I found digging in elsawin is t16a/7 permanent live pin isnt always used, is this powered up on yours?

2. Corradoman93 New Member

I’m from Ireland, so I won’t need a LHD
    Haha don’t go can bus it’s not worth it

3. Corradoman93 New Member

Can’t change the soft code to 01000 ( best I can do is 07000

after a lot of google
    Climatronic b5gp 0006
    I found there are two soft codes for the
    3b1 907 044 J

soft code 17000. Inside temp (right hand side in *C
    Or
    Soft code 17200 inside temp ( right hand side in *F

Note- Pressing auto + econ changes C to F also

can’t log-in

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  4. rubjonny

never mind, was a bit of a long shot. plenty of cheap mk4 climate units on ebay I picked one up for less than 20 quid a while back.

5. Corradoman93 New Member

The mk4 is non can bus ? Are they all non can bus apart from Passat ?
    I’m thinking that will the path I’ll have to go down

I will use 3B2907044C the same as yours

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. rubjonny

the mk4 climate panels and earlier b5 passat are not connected to the can-bus no, even if the cars themselves have can-bus with full convenience. use the part number from my panel above and you cant go wrong anyway

7. Corradoman93 New Member

Ok so took the head unit apart and went thought all the LEDs with a 1.5v battery on crocodile leads, all work apart from the LCD illumination leds and the cold button but I’m guessing they need more than 1.5v to turn on. But the leds do work

from the wiring diagram the purple wire is illumination +12v and the lights use -12v from the main units ground (I can’t see why not)

The leds still don’t work so I’ve give up trying to check if there’s a a bad soldier joint or internal fuse. And just bypass the lcd screen leds with 2x 5mm leds hidden one the top corners of the screen, And wired up externally. Works perfectly. Still have no buttons illuminating but I’ve ordered 3mm leds which I’ll wire up and hide the leds inside each button. So that’s now solved

the bit I’m still trying to solve is the out side air temp. As the head unit is displaying —C . Went thought the wiring for the outside air temp sensor, found both wires are cut. brown/black I’m guessing is negative and can be wired to the Negative wire of the sunlight sensor brown/white ( I hope ) and the positive wire is yellow/brown. But don’t know where it Connect it to the head unit of the climatronic. Or have it gotten it backward the brown yellow is 12v and the brown black goes to the head unit to be read but where, what pin

do you know what pins your head unit uses ?

<back of head unit reads plugs D A B C >
    Taken from Passat b5.5

8. rubjonny

you can wire the temp sensor either way round polarity isnt important. but I think you may find that it wont work if you try to wire it up as this signal is probably taken from the cluster outside temp signal via can-bus

if you want to try wiring it up ambient temp sensor is on on MK4 golf is plug A, or T12 pin 8. if you care about original polarity the signal wire to the climate module is pin pin 1, and pin 2 is sensor earth tapped into the climatronic common earth back to T12/12. On the MK4 harness its tapped into the earth from the sunlight sensor before the 17 pin mating plug to the climate harness

I've updated the wiring post to include climatronic plug wire colours and also which socket on the module they go to :)

9. Corradoman93 New Member

Vcds hvac
    (Taken from -
    https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/229/climatronic-coding

)
    I can only use 17000 and 17200. Here is what this code means. The code is 5 parts so we will call them xxxxx and only the number to be changed will be called ?
    In Vagcom /vcds - auto hvac

you need to use coding function. far right hand side
    Air Conditiioning (08) > Coding

?xxxx: Compressor variant

0 - Intern regulated
    1 - Internal regulated with temperature sensor after evaporator
    2 - externally controlled via solenoid valve

x?xxxx: Vehicle Description

1 - VW Golf (1J)
    2 - VW Passat (3B - bis MJ 1999)
    3 - VW New Beetle (1C/9C)
    4 - VW Polo (6N)
    5 - VW Passat mit L-Klappe (3BG Ab MJ 2000)
    6 - VW Lupo (6E/6X)
    7 - VW Passat W8 (3B)
    8 - VW Golf Cabrio (1E)

xx?xx: Regional version

0 Rest of the World
    1 - Japan
    2 - USA

xxx?x: Engine Cooling

0 - Without map cooling
    1 - with map cooling

xxxx?: equipment variant

0 - with Outside temperature display
    1 - Without outside temperature display

Then perform basic settings by going to basic settings channel 0

To use coding and basic settings you will need PRO version.

—————————
    my finding
    3B2907044J is from a Passat b5.5 and HAS cunbus
    3B2907044C From other vws and does NOT have can bus

3B2907044J in the head unit - illumination and the outside displayed temp run on canbus and will not work outside of the original car ( if put in a mk2 etc ) so just put up with - -C

3B2907044C Can display 22C etc and illumination

3B2907044J to solve illumination problem I drilled 2 small holes in the side of the head unit just to the left and right of the LCD screen and fitted 2x 5mm LEDs and ran the wires out the back of the unit. And wired them to a separate power supply. Works perfectly and super easy way to change screen colour. Currently it’s red. I have also ordered 3mm green leds which while be installed into each button as they are hallow and again wired up behind the head unit.

to solve the —C ... well I didn’t... but I did try. I guessed , If the head unit is just an I/o device and it just displays info it’s been given then I was hoping vw got lazy and although the climatronic 3B2907044J ran on can bus if other wires were used in the head unit it would still display the out side temp (oat) so I tried connecting the OAT positive lead wire to block A t12/8 second attempt in blockB t20/1 and grounded the OAT into the sunlight brown/white both Didnt work. Testing with a multimeter I did get 5v which is correct but still didn’t change the —C display. Even changing the code to 17001 wound result in the module getting very unhappy and show coding of 00000

17000=C
    17200=F

pressing down fan+ cold +econ
    I accessed the system menu and scrolling to 5 the system displays 999C which is open circuit But all the others system sensors worked. 6 is inlet cabin which I was hoping I could use that as the display why would you want to know outside temp when inside temp makes more sense to know. However there is no way of changing where it reads from.

following the wires on the OAT. Brown yellow is positive and goes to the green plug behind the dash cluster /speedo pin 26
    Negative of OAT brown/black goes to a few different plugs in the loom and splits off into 4 directions -one being blue and the other being pink. (& 2other plugs I can’t remember ) If it’s just a ground it’s non important where it goes. As the cluster pin has the information in it. I couldn’t find which wire then sends the voltage gets back to the climatronic, therefore I’m going to suspected it’s canbus as both my climatronic and dash have canbus. Is canbus a separate ecu? No ( I don’t have it or anything else but) I think it’s build into the dash cluster/speedo, which I don’t have.

in vcds I tried changing the code (as above) but it couldn’t accept 1golf or 4polo or ending in xxxx1 or xxx11 (etc) it was determined to say 7passat 00 even the other settings it refused

What did work
    17000. -C
    17200 -F
    00000 (when up set)

so in conclusion At about £20 on eBay for a new(Secondhand) head unit from a golf or Bora with 3B2907044C it’s not really worth the money just to display outside temp so I will live in defeat with —*C . I think I’ll put a sticker over it haha it’s always 26*C

on a different note. I’m building a corrado Vr6 with a climatronic ( non ac) please check out my channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/harpersteven

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  10. rubjonny

as I suspected yep, its sent form cluster to the climate panel over can-bus. the can-bus gateway is inside the cluster for mk4/passat, not that an external can-bus gateway would help as you still need the cluster to inject the signal into can-bus in the first place

11. Corradoman93 New Member

Hey Johnny,
    Mounting the red fan resistor. How did you physically attach it to the mk2 duct?

also for the climatronic what wires NEED to be connected

Main power +12v
    Main -12v
    Illumination
    And tell ecu to idle up when a/c pump is turned on

Anything else?

12. rubjonny

with the resistor I cut a square hole and put a self-tapping screw in to secure, theres a piccy on the first page somewhere :)

I'm not sure what the bare minimum is needed to get it working as I've not tested that myself, as I wired up as many of the feeds as possible. plus I still haven't got round to mounting the a/c blower housing yet. maybe this year will be the year :lol:

13. Easyrush New Member

Hi Johnny new to all this I retro fitted ac to my 16v golf gti and used the original ac wiring loom it's all working but I am left with two wires that come through the bulk head under the expansion bottle and are green wire and blue wire. From what I can find out they are ment to go to ecu to idle up when ac is switched on but wanted to know are both wires connected and to what pin on the ecu do they connect. If I have my ac on it sometimes cuts out as I come to a junction so wanted to sort this problem out.

14. rubjonny

ok so for the mk2 16v KR theres a single green wire spade coming off the ISV control module which is for aircon. its hard to find decent information on the function of the 2 mk4 signal wires, but I think its the blue/red wire you need to tap into from T12/3 on climate control module, through the big 17a plug pin 3

15. Easyrush New Member

Johnny you are the man thanks for getting back to me I will go and wire it in now.

16. Martasek New Member

Damn, i am going to do this soon but i am a reall mess from this wiring loom :cry::lol:
    Don't you sell this wiring loom? i would like to buy it from u :lol:

17. rubjonny

well I do have a long term plan to remake my car loom again with full MK4 CCM module and window motors rather than a MK4 central locking module, but its probably not going to happen for a while :lol:

18. Martasek New Member

Hey, i just start working on my climatronic wiring harness and i am wondering what wire goes to A/C compressor i am trying to make this work on my 1.6TD

19. rubjonny

the ac live wire compressor is wired to the fan control module T14 plug pin 10, earth is tapped to main earth back to chassis point :)

20. Martasek New Member

Thanks, i have a lot more questions [:D] i don’t have any control unit which is marked in T17a pin 3 but i got that speed sensor on my trany so i am going to hook that speed sensor up and don’t find any wires that hooked up to the sensor on the A/C hose that goes from compressor to heater valve or how to call it.. i think it’s just A/C pressure switch[:?:]