My T-Red Valver Daily - Mk2 ABF

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mookie, May 26, 2008.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Looks fantastic!!! 5 slat suits the period of Mk2 so much better, although i love my single lamps. [:D] Ive got the 16v badge on mine too, wouldnt have it any other way.

2. kev330i New Member

so whats the thing with linseed oil then , never heard of that one , how long does the deep black finish last

3. mookie Forum Member

Wow I've not updated this thread in ages... I seem to spend so much time asking technical questions! [xx(]

Plenty has happened to the car since my last update. First thing was I won a set of 15" Borbet A wheels off eBay - ironic that I sold the set that came on the car cos I didn't like them... and then ended up buying another set. I got them very cheap and had them refurbed in anthracite/charcoal grey and some 175/50 rubber put on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I swapped the badged grill for a badgless number, and ditched the deeper 16v front splitter and put on a CL (?) splitter - I could then go lower at the front and still miss most speed bumps (somehow!). I get bored quickly of how my car looks, so grills and splitters are interchangeable to me - don't prefer any one look tbh.

[​IMG]

Next up I polybushed the rear beam (the old bushes were like shredded wheat).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The disaster struck in September, the clutch went for the second time in 6 months. So driveway clutch change in the dark and rain!

[​IMG]

Which ended up not working anyway due to not spotting damage to the replacement.

jolly pain in the backside. :-/

Got some flat caps for the wheels after that, which I love the look of!

[​IMG]

Not much happened to the car in the Autumn as I bought one of these:

[​IMG]

A 2litre 16v ABF engine from a Seat Ibiza Cupra 8-) So the months up to Christmas were spent stripping it down, selling the bits off, and getting it ready to drop in the Golf.

Gave it a good clean, and painted it black:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plan had been to drop it on the driveway, but the weather and bodged clutch episode put paid to that so paid a mate with a unit and ramps, to do it for me 8-)

Old engine out and bay cleaned up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocker cover painted and detailed
    [​IMG]

ABF engine installed and looking canny good! The wiring has been neatened up, and the aircon has been removed (badly installed in 1989 and generally a pain).

[​IMG]

Also retained all the Seat Ibiza pumps and alternator for a neater, more modern install.

[​IMG]

Car is a real beast with new lump in. Loads of torque and will pull and pull right up to some quite silly speeds!!! Had to sort out a load of niggles - timing, mixtures, and the coil decided to burst - I think as a result of being heated and cooled quite extremely in the recent cold weather (and it was cheapo pattern part) so replaced that with a Bosch coil and a new battery just in case (again Bosch).

Plans? Recaro seats and generally tidy it up. Hoping to get it blown over in the spring.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Super!! Its realy come along since you got it.

5. mookie Forum Member

Hey thanks! Yeah it's slowly getting there. I set myself a list of wanted items back when I bought it and I'm gotten through almost all of them now (stainless exhaust, bigger engine, nicer wheels, small bumpers...). Interior is next, then paint hopefully before I go to any shows.

It's nothing like a show quality car, just a tidy daily really - that way I don't feel bad about driving it in the snow or giving some beans round the twisties!

EDIT: I've just noticed how ratty that thin expansion tank pipe looks!

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

very tidy! engine looks good in black too.

7. CrazyNick Forum Member

Do you live in Otley or were you just visiting?
    Realy like the car. Big improvement

8. mookie Forum Member

I lived along in Burley In Wharfedale for three years! Now back in Newcastle.

9. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Just read through, great tip on the linseed oil, nice one.

Car looks great :clap:

10. erick New Member

dude i love urs car.

11. IanH Forum Member

She looks nice, and I love the use of the Ibiza pumps and alternator. Just converting my ABF install to have these.

Ian...

12. mookie Forum Member

I was intending to use the KR items, but as the aircon ended up getting removed, the pulleys and brackets were completely wrong. I was just glad I'd not sold them yet on eBay as they'd been listed several times without being sold! One big advantage seems to be that the PAS pump is loads easier to adjust and remove than the KR one.

13. IanH Forum Member

Tell me about it!! Trying to adjust my PAS pump resulted in lots of swear words, bent bolts, and driving a car with no PAS. [:x]

Ah well will order replacement parts in a week or so.

Ian...

14. mookie Forum Member

Yep I know that feeling. Trying to replace the thermostat and wrestling with the PAS... horrible.

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Looks great, think I saw this a while back on retro rides. What happened to the BBS refurb?

16. mookie Forum Member

Basically a guy offered me double what I'd paid for them, a couple weeks after I bought them. And I hadnt done anything to them either! Sold 'em, used the money for the Borbets!

17. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Nice clean mk2 mate!