Passat B3 cable shift tower in Golf MK2

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KristianBG, Sep 14, 2023.

1. KristianBG New Member

Hello guys,

So I got inspired by the Golf R from toyotec and I am starting my ABF 16vT journey but have few question.
    So does a shifter tower from a passat b3( cable operated) fits a mk2 without cutting the body for 02A CDA or potentially 02J gearbox ( for the 02J I probably need to change the shift tower if its a later model)

And what engine mounts to use with the ABF and 02J/02A gearbox - currently using MK2 mounts because its matted to 020 ACD gearbox.

Is there any chance to retain the 4x100 pattern(using mk2 parts) or I need to swap the hubs and etc.

I have CDA box from mk3 ABF with a flywheel, axis and etc, aiming for 240-250HP max with fully rebuild stock ABF engine. Gonna use the Toyotec method with two headgaskets.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

b3 shifter afaik very similar to mk3 and fits the same way no cutting required just big washers under the bolt, but I would skip it and go straight to 02j. you could try searching for a polo 02j shifter which only requires minimal cutting, but tbh any mods needed for mk4 shifter only matter if you ever wanted to go back to 020 at some point.

you can convert 02a box with 02j tower to use mk4 stuff, or even fit late 02a tower to 02j to convert it to use mk3/passat shifter if you wanted. only thing if its a really early 02a form say a g60 you need to swap the lower bearing so later 02a/j selector will drop in.

if you keep mk2 subframe you need mk2 g60, corrado or passat 4 cylinder front and rear brackets. if you go mk3 subframe, use abf/tdi rear bracket. but you still need g60/corrado/passat front bracket though unless you also find a corrado vr6/passat vr6/tdi/abf front engine carrier in which case you can use the mk3 abf/tdi type front bracket as well

regardless of the above you can keep it 4 stud so no worries there. if you get an 02j box with 108mm flanges you need to swap those for 100mm no matter what, then once you do that you can fit mk2 driveshafts.

KristianBG likes this.
  3. KristianBG New Member

[​IMG]
    After considering the options. I will probably use the CDA gearbox( gonna rebuild it and change the rivets to bolts, same stuff i did to my ACD gearbox after blowing one) and mate it to 02J shifter and shifting tower for best shifting. Gonna find pedals from passat b3 for the hydro clutch.
    Is this the correct polo 02j shift tower, John ?

4. rubjonny

no thats a standard MK4 golf one, th epolo ones are hard to get and expensive, and tbh not worth it unless you have something special like a G60 or corrado where they bolt straight in. for a normal mk2 you still need to chop the brackets a bit to get it in there, but you can leave the original mounting holes in place so can still go back to 020 if you like. but as I say, who would want to go back to 020? :lol:

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

We have literally just fitted a Passat B3 shifter in our Golf. See my Audi TT R32 into MK2 golf thread for details. The flange needs to be made bigger or you can use big washers as the Rubster suggests.

rubjonny likes this.
  6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Also, you don’t need different pedals for the hydro clutch, just use the conversion kit from Retrofication.

7. KristianBG New Member

They are many companies that offer this type of hardware, this is damn awesome.
    Thank you guys for the info.
    On spot as always. I will check your thread, very nice build !.
    Thanks John again for the accurate info.

Actually I love my 020 ACD gearbox, very nice pair with 4kg flywheel on the ABF, revs very nicely, smooth shifts with a mk3 weight, but sometimes its hard to get second in deep corners because of the rod linkage moving.

8. rubjonny

KristianBG likes this.
  9. KristianBG New Member

Yes I know about this way, but some people had bad experiences with the clutch baiting way lower or feeling too heavy, to be honest I dont mind because i am used to my mk2 cable now.

10. rubjonny

is fine for me, just make sure you use a good quality cable (gemo) and modify it so it fits properly as usually you'll find its too tight if you have a factory cable bracket,thats all covered in the above linky as well as my CAD bracket :lol:

note the bit I posted about modifying the 1.3 cable so it fits the correct part of the clutch pedal as well, it could make a slight difference to pedal weight

KristianBG likes this.
  11. KristianBG New Member

This might be the way I will source the seat parts and a 02J tower, but will check other threads for the reverse light as far I know if we use the seat setup there is no room for reverse light.

12. rubjonny

That's the handy thing if you make your own cable bracket you can avoid the reverse switch

KristianBG likes this.
  13. KristianBG New Member

Yes, i saw how i am gonna cut it and weld it, gonna search the actuator from T4 or seats for parts.
    Can fabricate my own lever from the cardboard mock-up model.

The transmission questions were answered, now its time to collect parts for the 16vT :lol::lol:

14. KristianBG New Member

[​IMG]
    Found this gear shifter from Polo for 10$ ( a steal), will order it tommorow. About the clutch actuator, the guy from ebay doesnt ship to Bulgaria and probably will try some different way or will wait for my mate in the
    UK to buy it and ship it to me.