Passat B3 gear shift bush kit - help please

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by PhilRyder, Apr 15, 2024.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

We have a Passat B3 cable shift gear stick connected to a VR6 O2A gearbox.
    We cannot, no matter how hard we try get the adjustment right for 1st and 5th so we need to start with the basics - bushes.
    Which kit do we need? Is it this one?
    https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/3rg-9365693.html

2. watercooled Forum Member

I did my Corrado but sorry was too long ago to remember what I fitted ,however did find the lever bushes were the most worn of all the components and made a noticeable improvement ,no more lost motion and much easier shifting , made several adjustments to get it lined up again ...well worth doing.

PhilRyder likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

When you say lever bushes do you mean the gear stick bushes?

4. watercooled Forum Member

Yes ,just had a look @ mine and rod with the return spring has a black bush @ the rear and white one up front ,those were very worn ,there was one under the top of the lever under reverse detent spring so replaced that bush also .
    On the shift tower there was a bush I replaced but only cause I had a new one anyway ,this is on the inner cable side ,the adjuster can be used to adjust horizontal position of shift lever when all bushes changed .
    However the Passat could be different so can't really answer 100% but think if from the same era should be they same.
    Cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

some if not all of those bits should do, the part numbers they list in the link are for random single bits and bobs rather than for a full kit so its hard to say excatly what models its for. heres a piccy from ETKA, took a guess at 92 year
    Clipboard01.jpg

PhilRyder likes this.
  6. watercooled Forum Member

Correct RJ I never found a kit when I looked and I wanted genuine parts , I was buying other car parts from the US so bought them from a VW dealer there and combined shipped from my freight forward in Oregon .
    I just studied the PET and picked parts I found were worn on my car ,the parts were cheap and can only presume they were NOS , another visit to their site sometime later and many items were no longer listed and highlighted as discontinued .
    The shifter box is a bit of a fiddle to dismantle but if put together in order it wasn't too bad ,cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.