RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by stella, Sep 26, 2012.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

My PC has a dual core AMD processor with 4gb RAM. Whilst I know it is not exactly cutting edge technology, it is fine and plenty fast enough for my usual databases and Photoshop. (Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s); BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P2.20, 29/12/2009)

But now I am using Lightroom 4 a lot more. Still learning but determined to master it before too long. However, it is soooooo slow! It can take up to 10 seconds to render a RAW file before I start to work on it. As I have nearly 300 pictures from a photoshoot at the weekend, it will take me forever, even to just flag them.

Will adding another 4gb RAM help? Or am I looking at a new m/b, processor, etc? (I would prefer the former to the latter at present, due to cost but don't want to waste my money if it's not going to help.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

One thing you dont mention is the operating system.
    If you are using a 32bit OS you cannot use more then 4GB (OS only sees 3GB) anyway so there would be no point.

64bit (x64) is really what you need to run anymore. But i dont think your other specs would be up for it.

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Sorry - I forgot that bit! I'm running Win7 and I thought I was running 64bit. My other programs - Photoshop, Lightroom, etc - run in 64 bit, so would that necessarily mean I'm running Windows in 64 bit as well?

Where can I find out from, as I don't have any diagnostic software on here?

4. mat-mk3

Ohh ok then.
    Go to My computer > System Info or system properties. Cant remember the name but its one of the buttons at the top in my computer.
    It will take you to an info screen with details about your computer and your operating system.

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Start, right click computer, properties, system...

Mat, is that true, I never knew that!

6. WEZ

And yes, in theory, doubling your ram should improve Lightroom speeds. Make sure your mobo can take 8gb first though

7. jonlikescad Forum Member

If lightroom is anything like CAD rendering programs, it will be processor hungry not RAM hungry. I'd recommend finding out what motherboard you have and seeing if you can get a 3 or 4 core processor for it - do you know if LR8 is optimised for more than one core? if not, then try and get the fastest processor you can to help it along.

Quick google seems to show extra RAM is more helpful:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4465930

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Yes, just checked and it's 64 bit OS, so will now be looking into more RAM initially, depending on whether m/b can use it.

9. mat-mk3

10. stella

stella Forum Junkie

11. mat-mk3

There you go, bet you never knew as much info about it before!lol

Anyway, http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/K10N78FullHD-hSLI R3.0/

i will have a look tomorrow for you at what memory you need.
    are you able to take the side off and see how many sticks are in there at the moment? 4gb but is that 4 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb? Might be able to make use of it.

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, Mat - will take it off tomorrow and have a look.

13. WEZ

Duck opening it up, memory is so cheap at the minute (DDR3 at least, not sure on DDR2) you may as well rip out exsisting and go full 16gb.

14. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Have just run the Crucial scan on it and it shows I have 2x2gb, with another two empty slots. Saves me having to scramble around and looking at this stage.

Will cost me 42 for two more DDR2 chips, taking it up to 8gb. Hopefully that will show some speed improvement, so I'll be ordering that this weekend.

Thanks for all your help :)

15. mat-mk3

Does it show the spec of what you have now? Would be good to match it. 42 seems quite high as i just got DDR3 for less than that.

16. WEZ

I looked at dabs and couldn't find any DDR2, just picked up 16gb of DDR3 for 55 so seems a bit steep, but maybe 'cos its not the standard anymore, is it still being manufactured

17. stella

stella Forum Junkie

The older stuff usually increases in price when they bring out newer versions. Pity I threw load of chips away recently of old RAM - maybe I could've made a killing on fleaBay! lol

Am getting son to check out price at his workplace, see if I can get it any cheaper there.