sat nav on PDA’s?

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by stu h, Oct 3, 2005.

1. stu h Forum Member

looking at sat nav thingamy's, and a mate has offered me a compaq 3670 PDA jobbie . reckons I can get a gps reciever for it and 'download' (cough) tom tom software.

are they any good for it, as they're not purpose made for sat-nav? and how much / where should I be looking for the reciever? looked about through google and the prices seem to vary wildly [:s]

cheers :thumbup:

2. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

ebay has the gps antennae for sale on it. They also sell memory card things with the tom tom software preloaded if you dont download it.
    Don't know how good pda's are for sat nav, but I intend to do this myself.

3. stu h Forum Member

cheers for that, do you know how much the pre-loaded memory cards are (lazy! [:$])

4. gti8v Forum Member

my brother in law has this on a nokia mobile phone, works very well.

5. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

this guy seems to sell it for a fiver, but looks a bit dodgy?.

this guy reckons 2 squid?

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I have Ipaq pda and gps reciever with TomTom 5 (evaluation copy ;) ) and it works fine for me.
    Just got to add a fix for the POI`s on it and all is well.

7. stu h Forum Member

poi's?

I've been offered it for 70, but the cradle for the car is a bit knackered. I'll have to look into the cost of a reciever (will any old one do?) just had a look on ebay and it's confusing the frig out of me :lol:

cheers for your input :clap:

8. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Point of intrest.
    Yes most recievers are compatible ,sometimes a driver is required.

9. stu h Forum Member

:lol: you mean where's the closest maccies don't you? :lol:

cheers,
    I'll have to look into it a bit more then

10. vwturbo Forum Member

Ive did this the other week.I got a as new toshiba pda and a new haicom wired gps receiver on ebay for what i thought was a reasonable 110 and then copied my brothers tomtom 3 software onto my pda.

For the gps receiver, you can either use a wired receiver, 40 from ebay and that includes the incar charger VERY important! or you can get a inbuilt gps receiver cradle around 80ish nice and neat or a bluetooth receiver 50 but youll need a bluetooth enabled pda for that or a bluetooth card.

Tomtom software from ebay will work ok but youll need the original activation code (thats what i was told!) for it to activate properly.Once youve got the number you can activate it on loads of pdas ;)

For the maps,youll either need a mmc or sd card.Minimum size is 128mb (9 ebuyer.com) but better is a 256mb (12 ebuyer) cos some 128 cards can be tight for tomtom3 due to some makes coming atleast 10mb's short [:v:] For tomtom5 i guess? youll need a 256.

Speed camera sites, gatso's,temps etc is free from here http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/

11. Joe16v Forum Member

PDA would be best as you can use it for other stuff.

Realistically how much are you gonna use sat nav? How often do you to places where you get lost? If you're unsure you go and look at a map before hand. Ok if you're a professional driver. bit OTT imo

12. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I think I may treat myself to a PDA with some Tom Tom action, Al goes of to price it all up ;)

Alan

13. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

This one looks ok for the money.All you need is software and it has built in gps so you can use it outwith car.

14. stu h Forum Member

cheers for all that folks :clap:appreciated! that pda does look good for the money dave.

well I've got a job as a surveyor, and I'll be working miles from where I live, so unfamiliar and having to find all manner of sites so I reckon it'll be well worth it. I'll see what its like when i start on monday! and I wont exactly be spending 000's on it really.....
    Edited by: stu h

15. Joe16v Forum Member

Just was wondering, they seem to be the in thing, and for the majority of people i can't see why

16. Rahul Forum Junkie

To be honest Joe, I can see your point.

I have Sat Nav in my RX8 and it is useful for taking short cuts and deviating off your routes.

I am always in London etc and taking back roads etc is not a problem as the Sat Nav recalculates routes etc!

I was in JimmyJ's car when going up to Ragley Hall and he had a PDA with TomTom. It did work well, as far as I know, but it did look a bit out of place on the windscreen connected via a huge suction pad and tube.

But it is useful, but not necessary.

Sums up Sat Nav really.

17. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

hang on a minute? Gadgets, flashing lights, voice commands, touch screens, computer stuff and electric poo in your car that your mates haven't got, new toy. Many good reasons to get sat nav IMO

18. stu h Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

i wouldn't mind but I don't go for that sort of thing, not a gadget man. broke my mobile weeks ago and I haven't been bottomd replacing it [:$]

maybe its just someone to talk to in the cr when your on your own....

19. Jetta Forum Junkie

I've been using an ancient hp pda with built in phone for satnav running tomtom3, bought the pda, then the tomtom reciever with tomtom2 as obsolete stock in dixons, then bought a holder and powerlead for the reciever/pda.

Works really well and I bought a orange payt sim card and just pay 4 per month for 4MB of GPRS which I use for msn messanger come in handy when I'm bored on a site that dosent have net access

20. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

are you saying you get wireless internet on your pda for 4 a month (scuse my ignorance, gprs?)
    :)