The Old boy in the market for a new car....

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by Teddy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

......and he wants a Bora.

I have been looking around for him, and currently he drives a Polo 1.4 Match, which is a great car, but totally and utterly guttless (60bhp version)

Choices I am looking at for him are the 1.6 or the 2.0 Sport (he doesn't want diesel)

Is the 1.6 even work bothering about? He wants a bit more grunt, but is not a "racer" by any means.

Do I steer him towards a well spec'd 1.6 or hunt for a 2.0 Sport?

Thoughts from owners / anyone else?

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

How deep are his pockets?

My Bora is a diesel, so can't really recommend a petrol version.

It's a lovely car, but a bit anonymous. I prefer driving my Mk2 Golf, but must admit after this last winter, feel a lot safer in the Bora.

How old is your Old Boy?

What I had to watch out for is parking the Bora. I'm not a typical useless-at-parking woman, but find it a bit difficult when I cannot see either the back or the front of the car. Luckily, you always think you're closer to something than you actually are, although I had a couple of near misses at first, backing up to my porch, as I forgot that - unlike my Golf - there is a boot on the back!

3. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

The old boy is 71 this year. He has a polo, but whenever I see him drive it I can only help but think the "mario brothers" theme tune, he looks huge in it.

He likes my mk4, and wants something similar, he doesnt really want to shell out on a new car, as he doesn't see the point (i tried to point him towards a jetta) but he wasnt having it.

He likes the Bora, power not really an issue as such, the polo is just so slow.

The other half has a 1.6 Bettle, and i'm sure it would be acceptable for him (it would kill me!)

4. paulyb Forum Member

I have a Bora 1.6 Highline, which is a great spec, leather acon etc, and couldnt recommend it enough, great comfortable car.

But like Stella says can be a pain to park, but leccy mirrors and parking sensors help.

Engine can be a bit gutless but not a chore.