threadlock - loctite question

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by pigbladder, Oct 3, 2004.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

say if i torqued up 2 bolts to the same value...1 clean n dry and the other with locktite on it . would they both undo as easy???

whats the score with undoing em??

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Some locktite requires heat to free it off, some requires brute force. The loctite one would require some serious force, but the other one will undo easier. Remember, they are still both done up to the same torque setting, but it just means one doesnt move/come lose when its tight and under driving conditions.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I think blue loctite needs heat, and red is permanent.

4. octane Forum Junkie

and green! green requires around 200 degrees? [:s]

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yikes. Blowtorch time. I use Blue all the time on Radio Controlled cars, and with a soldering iron applied to the screw it will free off.

6. octane Forum Junkie

aye, green is 272 if i recall from work, we use red, but i can get that off [:s].

must be different numbers as well as colours, as we have around30 types of colours and numbers.

7. coullstar Forum Member

Locktite is merely to stop the bolt loosening of under constant vibrations.

8. DarrenH Forum Member

yeah as above, its not super glue !!

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The loctite one would need higher torque to "crack" loose, then they'd both come out just as easily.

10. DarrenW Forum Junkie

One of the alternator mount bolts on mine keeps rattling loose - because of the 16v lump in there, I'd have to remove all sorts of hoses and stuff to get at it to tighten it right up. So when the car is idling, it rattles at just the right frequency to shake it out. Could I use something like loctite to stop this happening, or would that mean I could never get the thing out again? Or should I stop being so lazy and either cut a spanner down or remove half the plumbing to get at it properly?

11. coullstar Forum Member

Thats exactly what its for. Just get the bolt out, apply the loctite to the thread sparingly then tighten it up. You must leave the loctite to set for it to be effective.

As mentioned there are hundreds of different threadlocks around depending on temp etc.