To turbo, or not to turbo, that is the question

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by PhatVR6, Jun 1, 2008.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

With reference to my corrado project. I'd always intended to go turbo, even when i still had my first mk2 i wanted to go VR6 turbo with that. now i've moved onto 24v i'd always intended to go 3.2 turbo.

But, my interest in the drag racing stuff has waned a little, and I'm more into track stuff now. Ever since the ring trip I'm beginning to thing that N.A is the way to go, and you really really don't need more than 400bhp. I went out in a GT3RS, an RS4, and an M3CSl, all NA, and all damn quick. The skylines, evo's and imprezas we saw didn't impress me at all, I even passed a WRX myself in the s8!

Just looking at the cost of all the bits I'm going to need, and the possible problems it's going to bring. Heat, pipework, added weight, the likelyhood of breaking transmission parts etc etc. It's really got me thinking that maybe i should just do a silly NA motor on ITB's instead?

I've got a vortech charger, but it's going to take a lot of work to fit that, and I know it'll only be a stepping stone to going turbo once i get boost addiction.

so, boost, is it all bad? I really don't want a car that I can only boot on the straights.

BUT, on the other hand I know i'll be really annoyed if i throw similar time and money at an NA setup, and end up with half the horsepower I could have got if I had gone turbo.

Hmmmm.

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

i don't think turbo cars are that great for track tbh . go itb it would sound mental . BUT it might be too loud fot some tracks .

how about get it running on std injection 1st and use it ? thats would be my 1st move

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

A turbo lump just need to be driven in a different way, one I hadn’t got used to after so many years of n/a on the track.

I’d prefer n/a but at what cost to get decent power out of a VR6 against a turbo, I’d love to go VR6 turbo in another Corrado

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I drove a VR Turbo Corrado the other week 'crazy dave' from the Corrado forum, he's local to me. It's only running 8 psi (290bhp) and was very impressed in how it drove both off and on boost. Thing is, with a turbo'd VR you start off with a large engine so off boost it's like a standard car, you're not running a lo-comp sub 2 litre engine...

Can't help thinking there would be heat issues with constant hard use on track, but for a road car it was fantastic.

Even with something like the set up Claires old R32 had would be good in the Corrado - Schrick cams, remap, sports cats etc 270 bhp...

As you know with Gareth's Vento , a 3.2 on ITBs would be storming... Choices choices....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  5. Andy947 Forum Addict

1.8t. . . . :lol:

6. GVK

Very good point.

7. GVK

Oh dear, I can see an exocet missle coming from PhatVille to some oil rig or suchlike in the Outer Hebrides.

8. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

turbo it, don`t beat around the bush, 24v turbo is the way forward faster

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

another thing, I'm running a 4.1 final drive. it's only going to do 147 flat out. so even with 300bhp it'll be bloody quick.

I've driven gareth's vento, it's DAMN quick, and the sound is amazing, but like people have pointed out, could be a bit TOO loud for some track days.

10. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Paul i would stick with N/A, as you know boost is additive an if you did go turbo on the VR you would just want more. As soon as you start going over 300 bhp you start to break things, if you can put up with that then go there, its a hoot :-)

Just remember to rob a bank to pay for it.

11. micky1 Forum Member

N/A= great track car but $$$$$ to extract HP

i personally would run a turbo'd N/A engine. There are enough turbo motors that'll do what you want. 2.7 RS4???

12. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

turbo`d N/A engine ???,

keep the engine standard compression run a turbo light pressure on a 24v will give 300bhp easily and still drive like a N/A car when it has no boost

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd second that. Because of the amount of shell work/tidying to do, I'd go for the easy option on the mechanicals, bolt together what goes together easiest, run it for a Summer, and then plan the next phase of turbo/supercharger/TBs after you've had some use out of it.

14. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG] + [​IMG] +[​IMG] = [:D] [:D] [:D] you know you want it Phatty

;)

15. prof Forum Addict

wonder what it would all cost 300+bhp NA or 400bhp turbo may end up similar money

will the r32 ECU run boost? as it'd be a fecker to map all that variable cam stuff in on megasquirt etc.

as GVK says tho, it's not exactly going to be limp off boost if it's got a gt30 on there with 3.2L so it would be a lot more drivable than the same 400bhp from a 1.8 or whatever

will your gearbox be too low geared for turbo torque?

16. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

chargers no good then?
    i thought they were more reliable,simpler and cooler

17. kipvr Forum Member

It would be much more rewarding to get 320bhp NA from the 3.2 than any turbo setup.

18. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Holy Thread revival Batman!

In the VR turbo set up I have helped with on a Rallye we purposely fitted a turbo that would help increase power all across the rev range. Currently comes in at 2.5k and pulls to the red line. The turbo should be good enough for upto and over 350bhp, yet with minimal lag on it makes it very drivable, on the road at least. Hopefully should be ok on track - as long as we pay attention to heat etc

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Turbo choice is critical as is mapping to get progressive/linear power delivery.

20. skoda4x4 Forum Member

personally i would go for a small turbo that will be able to be on boost as much as possible, the 3.2 will respond well to it i think.

plus didnt you say you had motec, so im sure all the variable valve timing and other tricks would be very possible