what model am I driving??

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by ChicagoGTI, Jan 28, 2004.

1. ChicagoGTI New Member

Okay.. I was reading... the 2000 GTI MKIV puts out a 150hp

I have a 2003 GTI and it put out 180hp stock...

am I still a MKIV????

cause I got this boost controller... suppose to put out 14.5psi...

when the 2000 only puts out 7lbs of boost
    the 2002-03 puts out 12lbs of boost..

now 2 extra pounds of boost is now a waste of money for this boost controller...

I was told that my ride only puts out 7lbs.. but when I installed my boost gauge I am hitting 12psi all day long...

errr... am I a MKV??

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

3. StefanVW Forum Member

4. ChicagoGTI New Member

thanks... sorry for a dumb question.. this is my first VW ever... and I am not too familar with them... at least I know there are better then most Japanese car in it's category..

5. cub. New Member

that's a weird question, not well put.
    bus basically you have a mk4 golf, the gti 1.8 t went from 150hp for earlier models like you mentioned to 180 which you have.
    this appears to be cos vw have upped the boost to 12psi for 2003>
    whereas the earlier models are 7psi.
    when you say its a waste- i presume you didnt know ur car ran 12psi, you presumed it was still 7psi, so you bought the controller to up it to 14psi, but now you know it's 12 you don't think it's worth it?

6. ChicagoGTI New Member

well to me.. If i had a GTI that was 7lbs of boost and bought this Boost Controller and boosted it up to 14.5lbs I think my $250 (US dollar) would be well worth it.. But since my GTI does 12psi stock... boosting it to 14.5 PSI for $250 is a waste for only 2lbs of boost.. but that okay cause I've talk to people on who has this and the controller actually boost the 2002-04 up to 17lbs... but do you get where I am getting at?? [:s]

7. smokesho New Member

wow, that's a messy post...neways, i see where u are going. more boost is gonna get u more power within reason. i know around here, putting the chip in makes a peak of around 18-19 pounds of boost, and would create 210 hp, on my 2003 GTI. if your controller can run 17 pounds, then good for u, use it and use it well. if not, then get something else if you are craving more power. with the upgraded BOV and wastegate controller, u are going to be able to run the higher boost. especially if u are going to install that FMIC, which will help keep things cool and running smoothly. so, the moral of the story is, whoever told u that u are putting out 7 lbs of boost on a '03 doesn't know what they're talking about or they got mixed up. but, atleast now u know. and the MK is based on chassis, like with most other manufacturers. the "new" car will be the 05 i believe, making it the MK V, comparable to the new stang in 05 being the new body style and finally chassis as well.