Which M8 12point spline for splitting BBS wheels?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by 1990, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm after a decent M8 12 point spline tool to split a set of the 16" BBS RX2 wheels as found on mk4 golfs.

Ideally i'd like to just buy one decent one.

The only single one I can seem to find is by Stahlwille for 8
    [​IMG]

Otherwise what about this Laser set for 7 which seems too cheap to be any good:
    [​IMG]

Has anyone ever split these wheels? Did any bolts break and what tool did you use?

Thanks

2. Ess Three Forum Member

That set will be fine...

I've done 4 or 5 sets and broken at least one bolt on every set i've split.

The best thing to do, seems to be to get the spline bit in a decent socket and extension (that you don't mind hitting!) and give each bolt a damn good smack with a big hammer.
    Hopefully, you'll break the corrosion on the thread and you'll get the bolt out...
    Failing that, you'll either break the head off the bolts - giving big problems.
    Or destroy the splines on the bolt - usually recoverable by going in with the larger sized Torx bit or similar.

Assuming you are re-furbishing them, and you get the bolts out Ok, I'd suggest you get hold of a M7x1.0 tap and die.
    Die the crud off the threads of the bolts.
    Re-tap the threads of the rims too.

The bolts can be polished up by popping them in a battery drill hand tight, and smacking them in some Autosol on a Scotchbrite pad - that brings the titanium up a treat.

The rims may end up with damaged threads...I prefer to run a clean bolt down each re-tapped hole, with a small spacer (M8 nut works a treat) and torque them up one at a time in the bare rim..if the threads pull, you'll need to Helicoil it.
    If they hold, good stuff.

Better to find out that you need to Helicoil several of the threads when the rims are split...rather than when you have them all back together, with sealant between the crntre & rim...and then find you pull the threads.

Of course, if you are just robbing the M7 bolts, ignore all that.
    Except the hitting the heads hard bit.

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

The Laser set? I've just found a bigger set at Halfords with the lifetime guarantee for 22

HERE

4. Ess Three Forum Member

I'm sure the Laser set will be fine...I think that's what mine are.
    If you have an M8 spline with 3/8 drive, it doesn't matter whether it's a Laser, Halfords or Snap-On...all of them are significantly harder than the titanium bolts you are looking to remove...so you'll not damage the spline bit.

Going up to 1/2 drive is fine for getting a bigger power bar on to crack them free...but it just makes it easier to shear the heads off.

Personally, since I'd be hitting it with a big hammer, I'd buy the cheaper ones...just in case.
    The Halfords warranty won't cover one that's been mashed with a big hammer.