Who gave a Liftime Engine Warranty? Not VW or VOLVO!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dave, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a service manual from an old uncle for that car

Dave likes this.
  3. Dave

Hi Cressa.
    Did your uncle own a 1967 TS?
    That US car is called: 'Shrike'. They had an engine of 799cc, instead of 850, to by-pass US emissions regulations.
    I owned a 1967 TS and would love to own one again. As my wife will tell you, it was the nicest to drive that we ever owned. We had to sell it to put the deposit on our first house

I had pukka SAAB workshop manuals for every 96 and 99 we owned. Every time we bought a newer SAAB, I bought the newest manual.
    I also got hold of the spare-parts manuals, when the dealer received a newer version.

Funnily enough, when SAAB were looking for a four-stroke engine to replace the TS, they tried both the VOLVO B18 and the VW flat four. They also tried a lot of other engines including Lancia and BMC. They ended up using The Ford Cologne V4 because it was virtually un-breakable when thrashed by the Finnish test drivers. The B18 came second.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have fond memories of my uncle picking us up. His Springer spaniel, my mum and us 5 kids all in 1 car, never be allowed today
    I don't really know why I kept this manual, just wrong to throw it away !

Attached Files:

Dave likes this.
  5. Dave

NOW! That manual should not be thrown away!
    I never owned a 'Bull Nose' and would have loved a GT 750, but they were only LHD.
    The GT 750 was the world's first 'off-the-shelf', 'straight-out-of-the-showroom', competition car complete with Halda 'Tripmaster'.
    saab-750gt-ad copy2.jpeg

Besides the optional tuning kit, standard accessories were competition seats and a skid plate.
    SAAB also supplied, 'free-of-charge', advanced tuning instructions with engine, exhaust, carburettor and distributor modifications.

96ts extras.png

GT 750 thrashes 1600cc Works Porsches.

IMG_2474.JPG IMG_2475.JPG
    My earliest SAAB was a 1965 "Sport" (Monte Carlo) so the earliest manual I owned was the 1965 version.