Work Bench

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Doddsy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Doddsy Forum Member

I'm thinking about buying a Black & Decker Workmate

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=722

What do you think? I've only an out house to store stuff in as the house is already so full of stuff and causing grief. Boot and doors amoung hundreds of other essentials in the livingroom, cellar, spareroom, cellar head, etc. :p

Need a work bench. :thumbup:

What say thee all?

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'd say it's probably a tad flimsy for anything other than "light" work...more woodwork orientated I think. Depends what you want to do with it I guess.

3. Doddsy Forum Member

Was thinking of holding engine components and stuff that needs working on. The jaws are made of some sturdy wood and the frame can handle 250kg.

However I was hoping for some suggestions. I need something I can put away in the small outhouse - literally a toilet cubicle. Am also considering making a bench that uses a wall as one support - and fitting a proper vice etc. This would have to be something that I could put away too.

Portable work bench basically. Anyone use something along those lines?

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

if you want that style of bench then you can get them in lidl /aldi type stores for alot less

not much use really ...id see if you can buy some timber and knock something hefty up , shouldnt cost much for some 4x2" and coach bolts etc

5. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

I made mine up....even drilled it to the garage floor

6. Doddsy Forum Member

I've got to the same conclusion - it'll only break when I hit it. Good to have it confirmed. I'm going to make a fixing to a wall so that a railway sleeper can be secured to it and then have a leg/legs at the other end and bolt a proper vice tut sleeper.

7. James_mk2 Forum Member

I've just made a workbench out of three scaffolding boards in my garage and it's sturdy as hell, scaffolding boards cost 5 each (13ft long!) and a few screws and a couple of fence posts to support it. Job's a good'un :thumbup: