OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dazfx New Member

No crimpers as of yet but on my list to buy.
    Will still may need you to do this come the end of the year Jonny.
    But the more I research the easier it seems to be. ;)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well if i did do it there would be fresh pins involved obviously :p

3. dazfx New Member

Right managed to have a look.
    One relay holder has

Pin 2 two black wires one with spade one in to rest of loom
    Pin 4 red and black wire from pin 26 of white plug then into loom
    Pin 6 single brown wire with spade
    Pin 8 brown/black wire to loom

The other realy holder is as follows
    Pin 2 blue/pink to loom
    Pin 4 two Browns one with spade one to loom
    Pin6 yellow/black from pin 15 of white plug then to loom
    Pin 8 yellow/red to pin 29 of white plug.
    I think the second one may be for coolant but unsure of first as the colours are slightly different to
    what you have described above.

erreesse likes this.
  4. 2k3gti18t New Member

Wow this thread is amazing and a complete life saver.

Do you know if there is any way to get the OEM 1.8t ECU to trigger the MIL lamp in a MK3 cluster? It is the last thing i need to button up before I get the car back on the road. Thank you so much for all of this amazing information.

5. rubjonny

daz sorry for the late reply I missed it somehow! the first relay is the control unit for the idle boost valve so it can be binned and reused for your ecu relay. the 2nd one is your coolant level warning control relay so leave that alone :)

The later DBW ecu have 3 wires for this in the loom but I cant say if they're active or not for all of them, only the audi and SEAT ecu seem to have thes e wires actually in use:
    T10w - white:
    8 - wht/red - AUM/AUQ ECU pin 48 (unused) - EPC fault lamp
    9 - grn/pur - AUM/AUQ ECU pin 67 (unused) - crash signal
    10- pur/yel - AUM/AUQ ECU pin 47 (unused) - Emissions fault lamp

for the early type ecu I havent found a diagram showing the wirign yet, US spec 20v wiring diagrams are probably worth hunting out or ask on the vwvortex if anyone knows it'll be those guys :)

erreesse likes this.
  6. 2k3gti18t New Member

Wow thank you for the response. My AWP harness does have those wires. I am not sure if it needs to be the EPC wire or the emission fault wire that needs to go to the cluster. Do you think it will provide the same signal that the mk3 cluster needed? From all of my readings it appeared that they CEL in the cluster was triggered by the LOW and HIGH cam bus signals but I hadn't been able to confirm that with the benlty because the cam bus wires go all over the place and I couldn't track down a real need for them.

THank you again, you need to set up some sort of paypal account for beer money.

7. rubjonny

I think the emissions fault light would be a better fit, as I belive it comes on when the ecu thinks lambda/cat damage is possible? you may be able to wire them both into the same light with diodes to prevent back feeding from 1 wire to the other to ecu pins (or it may not matter)

For the MK3 the ecu earths the bulb to illuminate it, I'm not sure which way round tit is on the MK4 type ecu but looking at the wiring diagram I'm pretty sure its the same as the mk3? easy enough to test though I'd assume as soon as you fire it up without a lambda plugged in it'll flag at least one if not both of the lamps so you can test the output with a multimeter. in fact the bulbs will come on with the ignition for a short while as a test anyway so even if ecu is fault free you can test em :)

8. GGR

GGR Forum Member

im looking for the mpg signal from 3.5cabrio AGG wiring.
    I've found a purple/white wire from old ECU that runs inside the car which is pin 10 on ecu plug
    Any ideas what that wire is?

9. smokeingun Forum Member

I've got a early agu loom/ecu running my mk2 conversion, just sorting out a few things and I can't get the diagnostic port to work, being early agu Im thinking diagnostic k line is pin 19,grey/white. Later looms it's pin 43,pin 43 on my loom is red/white also tried running this to diagnostic port pin 7. Got live to pin 16 and earth as pin 4,or could it be my code reader at fault.works fine in other cars

10. rubjonny

GGR: the MK3 MPG signal is the purple/white wire hanging off the clocks, early cars its a single pin plug late cars its on a 3 pin plug with the indicator wiring. ECU pin 10 is where the ECU signal wire is on the 2.0 8v AGG/ADY :)

smokingun: yes the AGU k-line wire is pin 19, grey/white. You need to run that to the vagcom port pin 7, give the port live to pin 16 and earth pin 4 as you have done. once its wired up like this it can only be an ecu or cable fault if you cant talk to the ecu. or ecuisnt powering up, but I'm assuming the car at least runs so its not that?

Pin 43 red/white isnt needed, and I still haven't found out what it is for 100%. the only thing I have seen is if you put 12v to this wire it lets you map the ecu via the vagcom port, but no real confirmation one way or another...

erreesse likes this.
  11. smokeingun Forum Member

smokingun: yes the AGU k-line wire is pin 19, grey/white. You need to run that to the vagcom port pin 7, give the port live to pin 16 and earth pin 4 as you have done. once its wired up like this it can only be an ecu or cable fault if you cant talk to the ecu. or ecuisnt powering up, but I'm assuming the car at least runs so its not that?

Pin 43 red/white isnt needed, and I still haven't found out what it is for 100%. the only thing I have seen is if you put 12v to this wire it lets you map the ecu via the vagcom port, but no real confirmation one way or another...

So it's wired correct,car starts/runs great. I'll try another ecu, does it matter if the immobiliser is still on? Obviously the ecu I'm using is unlocked but my spare ecu s are locked immobiliser wise,will it still send data to diagnostic port but won't start??

erreesse likes this.
  12. rubjonny

its probably not the ecu but it can happen, when you do a test on the com port in the vagcom settings what does it say?

it wont matter if immobiliser is there or not or active, it will still talk to vagcom :)

13. smokeingun Forum Member

I'm using a code reader.I'm gonna get vagcom I think. Tried a different ecu still the same thing, failed to establish connection to dlc or some thing along those lines..

14. Pelloo New Member

I have a AEM wideband 30-4110 kit and would like to Know how to wire it in the ECU? Connecteur dont fit

15. rubjonny

what ecu do you have?

16. benthejettaman Forum Member

has any one figured out how to get a tacho signal from a mk5 r32 yet

17. RabbidCabby New Member

New to the forum, this thread is an absolute lifesaver!

I'm swapping a 01 12V VR6 into a 1982 Rabbit. The wiring appears to be the generation before CE1 with ceramic fuses. The best pinout guide that I have found for my car is over at cabby-info.com. Can I wire this into the existing fuse box or do I need to bring relays and fuses from the VR?

18. MaxiDave New Member

I have just followed this guide to fit a BAM into my Rallye and it worked out great, thank you Johnny.

At first it would not start/prime pump etc until I put +12v to the red/green wire on the ECU relay. Did I miss something
    in the "how to" or leave a wire out somewhere.

Also at the end of the guide it mentions the T2 plug with black/purple wire to go to G1/10?
    When I trace this wire it goes from the ECU relay to coilpacks (via the T2 plug) so at what stage do I splice this to G1/10?

19. rubjonny

benthejettaman: 2 options, add a W terminal to alternator and use a dakota digital revo adaptor, or use a CAN-BUS adaptor to take the revo signal out and add the VSS wire in. alternatively those with knowledge of the R32 firmware may be able to enable the pins on the ECU socket? Toyotec may be the man to ask on that one.

RapidCaddy: The older ceramic fusebox doesnt really have any feeds on the fusebox itself so you'll have to add your ecu and fuel relays separate from it and trigger them from an ignition feed. the old coil live or the G spade 3 would do you. then its a case of run the dash sensor wires, wipers etc same way you would on a later fusebox. G/3 assumes you have the same fusebox as the early mk1 over here, and not some USD specific one? This is what we have pre-84 anyway:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?219775-Fusebox-FAQ&p=1945620&viewfull=1#post1945620

MaxiDave: The red/green main power feed to the ECU relay is fed from T6/4 which also feeds the ECU perm live pin. I see you went with the option to retain the MK4 ECU relay, this is covered in the ECU relay notes further down the guide. You may want to put a fuse on this live pin, as per my fuse notes :)

G1/10 is used if you decide to use the factory ECU relay socket on the fusebox, the way you have it this just plugs to the ECU relay power plug same way as it did in the MK4. I've gone back and tweaked the wording a bit to hopefully make it a bit more clear!

erreesse likes this.
  20. MaxiDave New Member

That's great John, I read over it a few times again and it looks a bit more clear now.

Just one more question, The white plug with orange/black & orange/brown for Can Bus, what pins do they go to in the
    diagnostic plug?