'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. m1keh Forum Member

They are only bump stops, your suspension shouldn’t be using them unless it is almost completely compressed. So they should be relatively stiff to stop any metal to metal contact in the system.

2. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

That's good to know, thanks. I measured what the spring was compressed and checked this against the bump stop. Perfect ;)

3. DN5

Got the rears built up and in place today
    20180523_143021.jpg
    Then nearly had a heart attack as I lowered the rear off the axle stands as I could get my fist in there! BUT.....
    20180523_172703.jpg 20180523_172715.jpg 20180523_172722.jpg 20180523_172731.jpg
    It settled out really nice!

Love it [:D]

4. DN5

Brakes are worse than ever now and they sink when pressed but I'm hoping a proper bleed up with a decent power bleeder will sort it. Can't see any leaks....

5. m1keh Forum Member

It’s looking good now, so close to finishing.

Hopefully a power bleed will do the trick on the brakes.

Does the pedal go hard when pumped up engine off?

6. DN5

It kind of does yes but still a little spongy. When the engine is running it sinks to floor but only when pressed.

Just hoping it's not a servo issue as that means even mooooore work :(

7. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds like the servo is ok based on it going hard then softer when the engine is running.

Are you bleeding with the compensator fully open? I:e the arm pushed all the way up to the body?

Could air be trapped in the master cylinder behind the blanking plugs?

8. DN5

I did bleed with the compensator fully open but didn't think about the blanking plugs so I'll have a go with that tomorrow then.

The sequence was:
    rear drivers
    Front passenger
    Rear passenger
    Front drivers

I'll try working my way from furthest caliper to m/c through to nearest caliper tomorrow.

All calipers off and nipples up lol

9. m1keh Forum Member

Probably worth giving the calipers a good shake too before you point the nipples up.

Are you leaving the pistons clamping onto the disc with the pads in when you have the nipples up?

Another way to budge air can be 5 fast jabs on the pedal with the bleed nipple closed and then hold the pedal down and then have a helper open the bleed nipple until you hit the floor. Then close off the bleed nipple release pedal and repeat.

10. DN5

Ok cool I'll give that a go if I can gather a helper haha.

I do have a 1 way bleed valve that's not been used yet so I'll try it all!

I've been clamping the piston with a d clamp and holding caliper up into the wheel arch while opening the nipple. Has moved lots of air like this but there's more in there I know it lol

11. DN5

Ok so I had another go today!

Firstly bled the blank bolts - unsure if any air came out but plenty of fluid certainly did lol

Started furthest from m/c and worked round one by one nipple up and in between opening nipple I jumped in and pumped the pedal sharply. Lots and lots of air came out so that's one worth noting for anyone else.

Had a leaking bleed nipple up front which I changed and it feels 110% better. It's still not as tight as it was before I stripped the car back in 2016 but it's not far off. I may toy with the adjustment on the back of the pedal and see what I end up with, throwing caution to the fact the discs grow when warm though. Another go tomorrow :thumbup:

Had a test ride afterwards and the suspension is like riding on a lazyboy lol I would reccomend the Bilstein B12 kit to anyone thinking of upgrading!

I'm sure the larger ratio of tyre has helped too but loads happier with the ride quality...

MOT, 5 millionth brake bleed and 4 wheel alignment tomorrow

12. m1keh Forum Member

Have you got an MOT yet then?

13. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds good then!!

Hopefully you can get out for a drive over the long weekend and enjoy all of your hard work finally!

14. DN5

It passed today They tell me the alignment has gone spot on which should have cleared up the tramlining, MOT passed with flying colours, brakes have been bled again and are better but still not too sharp.
    I may clamp each corner hose and release one off at a time seeing what the pedal does.

Collect the car tomorrow

Spacecowboy likes this.
  15. DN5

Yes! I've not been busy with work but sods law says I'll be busy all weekend now haha.
    Looking forward to driving some miles now though.

Thanks again for the chips, I can give it some tests now and see that the actuator is boosting at the right time etc.

Fun!

16. m1keh Forum Member

If it’s all going good a log in third gear from 1500-4000rpm would be a good baseline. And I’d log Actual and requested boost, and also the channel with fuel quantities one of them is called smoke limited quantity. I can’t remember the exact names of the other two in vcds.

17. DN5

Can I log without registered version? Having issues with mine so need to sort it out. I'll do that next week and do a log

18. m1keh Forum Member

I think you can get a log unregistered, but the channels you can get might be limited.

19. DN5

It drives like new [l][l][l]

20. m1keh Forum Member

Nice! With a good dollop of low down torque?