’91 Mk2 GTI 8V Misfire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by GreeneyMk2, Jun 30, 2004.

1. GreeneyMk2 New Member

I'm getting a loud popping/misfire sound from my mk2 GTI. The sound occurs mostly when easing off the gas towards the end of a road or junction, as the revs fall from about 3000 - 2000. The misfire is sometimes also evident at start up, but is cleared up by a a couple of hits on the gas.

Might just be coincidental but the idle can sometimes play up, going up to about 1200-1300 in traffic. I have seen alot of stuff in the forum about ISV problems not sure if this could lead to the misfire? My car has very low milage at 33k (genuine!).

Kol - new member, any advice greatly appreciated. :)
    Green 1991 MK2 GTI 8V.

2. The Pig Forum Member

I'd clean the ISV, idle screw and throttlebody, reset the idle and mixture and check the ignition timing for starters.

3. GreeneyMk2 New Member

Cheers, I'll try and give the ISV a clean then, not sure about reseting the idle and mixture, sounds like a job for a pro which is not me!