’Bleeding’ Calipers!!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Rally Ho!, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Rally Ho! New Member

I am having a nightmare withthe bleedin'rear calipers on a mk2 8v. [:x]

When the rear hoses are clamped upso only the fronts are working my pedal is solid and works fine. The new (ish) rear calipers just fitted make the pedal go very spongy and down to the floor.

We havepressure bled the entire system and fitted new master cylinder. The regulatorseems fine -(I have tried clamping the rear hoses offin front andbehind the regulator and both times the pedal is solid)

I havejust read (in haynes manual and on this site butfor mk4 calipers)youmust fillempty calipers (from the bleed nipple)before fitting them, presumably there is an air lock that regular bleeding can't get rid of.Or is this simply to make the bleeding process quicker ?

If anyone knows the answers please help me!!aaarrgghh.

2. cforehead Forum Member

No, it's supposedly because of an airlock - but I've not had a problem.

Is the car on level ground when bleeding? It should be...

Fordo!

3. Rally Ho! New Member

yup nice flat level ground it was.

4. diggerbucket Forum Member

Make sure the rear pressure regulator is tied fully open (a cable tie is handy) so that the full pressure is getting to the rear brakes.

5. Rally Ho! New Member

Ah. Tie up the regulator. How is that done ? Or will it be obvious when it stops raining and I have a good look at it ?!!

6. stegti Forum Member

Just had the same hassle with my sons GTI, the callipers bleed better if you remove them and hold them with the piston pointing down and bleed nipples at top, our problem turned out to be a knackered pressure regulator, OK if pressure bled, but if manually bled it would pull air in.

7. Seraph Banned

tie the regulator arm(has the spring connecting it to axil) to the body of the reg.