00515 cut out wouldn't start for 15mins

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mrglee, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mrglee Forum Member

(Agg engine) noticed fuel consumption has increased over the last month and tonight started juddering and pinking and then cut out at a junction finally started again after 15mins then ran the last 10miles faultlessly got code 00515 my book says hall effect sensor and check CMP???? Do I need a new dizzy or are there anything else I should check and what is CMP?.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Usually Cam Shaft Position sensor . But in your case I'd say CRANK position sensor . It's on the front of the block , down low, behind the oil filter and towards the gearbox a little .

3. mrglee Forum Member

Thanks for the help but why do you say crank sensor or can a fault with this give the camshaft sensor code? 00515 camshaft position sensor (hall effect sensor)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Because I don't think the AGG has a cam position sensor . I stand to be corrected .

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cam sensor is the distributor :)

I think these engines will still run on a batch fire map even if the dizzy is unplugged same as an abf will? If so you could unplug it and see how that affects things. check wiring to the dizzy, look for oil inside or damage to the wiring between plug housing and sensor etc.

while there have a good look at the crank sensor wiring as well as the sensor itself as well, if it looks cracked up on the insulation then I would replace that regardless

6. mrglee Forum Member

Now I have had a chance to ask the wife she says that it went through a "massive" puddle just before it started playing up so may just be water getting into the dizzy or wiring has ran ok but a bit flat since will clean dizzy and wiring also air filter incase it got flooded out .code hasn't come back after 100miles,these codes are the generated when something is running out of spec or only if they fail?.

7. rubjonny

with vagcom it will give you a bit more detail on the code, open circuit, short, intermittent etc so that would help. if its been going a bit flat for a while with increased consumption then that would suggest that the hall sensor has been going for a while, or perhaps dizzy timing has drifted out though that wouldn't happen unless somethign is loose. easy enough to double check timing anyway look at all the marks as per the pdf documents in my signature link aggadydizzy1 & 2.pdf

then when it cut out completly this could be down to the crank sensor going bad, getting water in it due to puddle and cracked wire insulation perhaps

8. mrglee Forum Member

Thanks john i think your right just fired it up with the dizzy unplugged took a few turns with throttle but yes it fired up and idles.fuel consumption gone from 40 to 33mpg.going to order a new hall sensor (Bosch) for the dizzy and crank sensor I normally get the £20 ones but this will be the third one in 6 years( forth if you include the one which didn't even work) best to stick with original or are delphi and febi good for replacements.

9. rubjonny

mrglee likes this.