020 green end cap falling out !

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mr hillclimber, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Broke Forum Member

2 liters only if the box is bone dry, like after a rebuild.

When you drain them, you mostly drain them, as there is always some left inside the trans. I've always meant to check to see what's left in one, but never remember to do it when I crack one open.

If there is 0.3L or 0.4L of fluid still coating the inside of the box and parts, pooled up in nooks and crannies, then adding 1.7L will bring it to the 2.0L spec.

The factory papers I have, while older, are showing 2.0L for the FM code.

These pics show the difference between the new style filler plug and the old style filler plug. The new style was changed Sept 8th, 1987, and the fill hole was raised 7mm higher.

The old style, the filler hole is centered in the "bump" on the 5th cover....

[​IMG]

The new style shows the filler hole being raised a bit out of the "bump", raised up 7mm...

[​IMG]

If your trans has the old style with the hole centered and low, then you fill the trans until it starts to dribble out of the fill hole, plug it up, and then add 0.5L more through the speedo hole.

If your trans is the newer style with the riased hole, you fill it until it starts to dribble out of the fill hole, and then you're done.

Broke

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  2. TrackCab16v Forum Member

first class info that broke , respect,:clap: :clap: :clap: .,,,.. reguards paul

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Or if the end cap comes out on a right hand corner ! [:D]

By your description, mine is the early type (as seen in the pic of the end cap further up the this thread). Sounds like I need to "adjust" the oil level as I put a ltr in through the side plug (bur none ran out) and another ltr down through the speedo gear hole. I thought this maybe ok in view of how the oil came out (!) as I expected it to be totally empty, maybe thats not the case ?

I guess if I drain out the oil through the side plug and then put 0.5 of a ltr back in through the speedo gear hole then that should make it about right ?

4. Broke Forum Member

Not totally, no. Even when I try to drain it fully on the bench, spinning it around on the rotating stand, it won't drain totally empty.

Yep:thumbup:

Broke

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks for yr help and advice Broke (and eveyone else, cheers chaps).

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Just an update...

Drained off the excess via the side hole and put 1/2 ltr back in via the speedo hole, had 300ml (0.3 ltr) left ! So would have been overfilled by 300ml.

Cheers Broke.

7. vw_stu Forum Member

only just noticed this thread, sounds like the whining noise from the box may be incorrect backlash between either the gears themselves, or the crownwheel and pinion.

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It just started to get noisy one day and sounded to me and others like diff bearings, just had all new (genuine) fitted and it's still there...[:^(]

Thanks for the idea, worth thinking about, cheers.