02J in MK3

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by V-Man, Sep 29, 2010.

1. V-Man New Member

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the gearbox from an Audi A3 1.8t AUG engine (correct me if im wrong this is the 02J box) will bolt into the Mk3?

I'm converting to 1.8t AUG engine and want to use the 02J Box with the engine as i have it with the car, is it a case of fabricating mounts? does anyone make custom mounts? can mounts be swapped/adjusted to fit or is it very different fitment wise?

Also does the 02J still suffer with crunching into 2nd on fast changes just like the Mk2/3's ive had?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All 02Js fit Mk3s, just make sure it's not off a VR.

The second gear crunching goes away.

3. V-Man New Member

Thanks chris,

So I can just use the mounts from the adui to bolt it in? Also do I need the driveshafts from the a3 or can I use my 8v shafts?

What do u mean off vr?

As the mk3 did have a hydro clutch on the 16v will the hole be there for me to convert to hyro as mine is 8v cable, will it need drilling out? Is the location at least stamped out in the body?

Does the a3 hydro clutch pedal assembly and servo etc work in mk3 also with gear stick and linkage I.e can I moved it all over to the mk3,

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks again:thumbup:

4. rankadoodle Forum Member

The bell housing on an 02j from a vr has a vr bell housing won't match to 1.8 face

um, right?

THINK you can use same drive shafts. NOT SURE wait for another post. How do you have a 16v and 8v shafts? I think it's all the same but vr shafts might be more heavy duty not sure, and then will it fit (pretty sure because 02j on vr6.)

What horsepower you cranking stock 16v?

My 02a has crunched a couple times thought I was being hard on it, so it's a common issue? I shift pretty well I thought. At least I know not to chirp the wheels into second, a big no.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. V-Man New Member

Sorry, to be clear have a Mk3 8v golf GTi :p

I've taken the AGU out of the A3 and the 02j box (which im getting rebuilt) Ive measured the 02j output flanges and they are 100mm. Can anyone confirm the Mk3 8v golf GTi runs 100mm driveshaft's?

So far im happy with what i need etc but the queries i have are ........... can i use the Audi A3 pedals box etc to convert my 8v to hydro clutch? or would i be better off going down the breakers and getting Mk3 golf 16v pedals etc. in which case is this a quick fit i.e does the mk3 8v shell have the hole for the hydro cylinder?

Lastly do i simply need to by 2x 02a mk3 16v gearbox mounts to mount my 02j into my Mk3 as i understand the casing are very similar ?? so basically does 02a mk3 16v gearbox mounts fit 02j ??