02m /02q 6 Speed Into Mk1

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by scirocco-turbo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. scirocco-turbo Forum Member

Has anybody ever fitted a 3 shaft 02M /02Q six speed into a Mk1?
    The mounts are not a problem but not sure on drive shaft length, flanges and the hydraulic clutch as there is only a pipe from the gearbox.
    Any info appreciated.
    Dave
    An yes I know it is a big heavy box!!

2. davecr32 Forum Member

3. Fenn Forum Member

if the mk1 driveshafts have the same spindles as the mk2's then you can use transporter inner CV's with shortened shafts. the other problem is the lack of speedo drive for the clocks.

4. davecr32 Forum Member

hi, yes i guess you could use transporter cv joints. i havent tried this. i did a five stud conversion at the same time so i fitted mk3 spindles into mk2 hub carriers.

i decided to not shorten the drive shafts because vw use seamless tubing for driveshafts. i was worried that any welding would weaken the driveshafts too much. i thought it was best to stick with vw spec shafts.

yes the speedo is a problem to get round too. ive fitted mk4 non-can bus clocks into my mk1 dash. im really pleased with how they fit and look. i had to cut them about a fair bit to get them in there though. :lol:

5. Arne Inge New Member

Hi. Can i ask you what shafts you used?

I am building a golf 2 syncro with 1.9td engine and o2m 4x4 box from skoda octavia