03 plate 1.4 16v non starter

Discussion in '16-valve' started by M7R, Apr 14, 2009.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Right heres one for you as im a bit confused....

03 plate 1.4 16v skoda fabia auto, 75bhp model.

The car was running fine the other day, it keeps flagging the engine light up every so often as its says that the torque speed is out of the lower limit - I belive this is when manovering in a carpark on full lock with the brake down but the engine in drive, it gets a bit confused so throws the light up...still drives fine and I clear the code and it stays off for a while untill its been shunted around a carpark by grandad.

today the car will no start, cranks over and seems to catch but will no fire.

scanned the car, - no faults.

checked all fuses, all fine.

over 1/2 a tank of fuel.

the only thing that seems odd is that the fuel pump runs for quite a while when you turn the car on, about 20 seconds or so! then turn the ignition straight off with out starting and back on again and it runs again for another 20 seconds plus!

I have checked the valve on the end of the fuel rail and theres fuel there, but the pressure doesnt seem stupidly high,

Tomorrow I will be fittng a new fuel filter just incase its a ittle clogged (the car was brimmed on wednesday, and hasnt been that full for a few years, normally having 1/2 a tank max!)

any ideas?

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

not sure on the fault, but worth checking the wiring on the front of the box (couple multi plugs / lambda probe wires etc) there is a plug with 2 thin wires that breaks which causes a a load related fault ( could be translated as torque)

various things, has it ever had issue with EGR valve, or known to have a software update?
    worth going staright to the cat mounted on the front of the engine and visually checking it from top (exhuast manifold off)
    you may find it broke up.........

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

:thumbup: Ill look at the box one tomorow too cheers dude, if i can fix that one and get it all back running again he wont have any excuse to sell it!! (he keeps saying he wants a ford!!!!!! as they are more reliable![xx(] )

the car has been fine for the last couple of years or so that my grandads owned it, its only done 37k miles or so, fully serviced at skoda then at my grandads mates garage, it seemed to be fine up to now, are the cats prone to braking up and stopping them firing?[8(]

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Cat very prone to falling apart, more so when had issues with the EGR sticking.
    the early version polos needed a software update to alter the fuelling & EGR program

I have seen 5+ with same symptoms, cat breaks down blocking exhaust manifold gasses from passing

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

aaaahhhhhhh, im not sure if its had an egr update or not, ill check the history and see what turns up. also can it happen over night? as it seems odd that one day it works, next it doesnt [8(] but then again all it takes is for a few bits to move I guess and its then blocked...Ill whip it off tomorrow and report back :thumbup:

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

its working!!! for now...

I had the cat off, that was fine and dandy.

while playing with the car I noticed that when the ignition was on the throttle pedal didnt do anything, and that there was a loud clicking noise from the gear box.... I played with the plug on the throttle and that made no odds, opened it up a tad and the car would start!

unplugged all the plugs on the front of the block, where the lambda plug is etc, cleaned up, a spot of wd and back together and then the car chose to run! and seemed to idle better than ever... very odd!!

I still have the engine light up but I will scan tomrrow and report back what the ecu now says is wrong.

Cheers dude :thumbup: