1.0 fuel consumption

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 8vDUB, Dec 23, 2010.

1. 8vDUB Forum Member

just sold the gti and bought myself a 99 treg 1.0 polo, but the fuel consumption isnt what i thought it would be.
    anyone got any ideas what i should expect or what the qouted figures are?
    the light was on when i collected it and i put 20 in, iv done 70miles and im nearly back on the red again.
    i was expecting more. the service light is on so im going to service it, and it has the wrong size tyres so im going to change back to the 155s.
    iam i expecting to much.
    help please.

neil

2. Golfamily7 Forum Member

The main problem will be the engine is so small that you are booting it all the time to make any decent speed. The 1.0 is very low on power. If your gti was a mk2 digifant then it wouldn't have been much worse on fuel.

3. 8vDUB Forum Member

i was thinking it could be that aswell, combine with the above, il have to try and drive it like a granny and see how it does, i dont have to push the throttle open to much but you do have to wind it up.
    would those figures be about right then if its alot of stop start aswell?
    my golf was a mk2 digi with a none standard 8v motor.
    thanks for the reply.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

The only way is to work out the actual MPG using how many litres of fuel used and how many miles you've done.

In my Volvo I can get 65mpg over 70miles easily but I can also get 25mpg; the main difference is both my driving style and the journey itself.

There's far too many factors to say why it might be low without knowing them; but get the MPG from filling up the car to full, set the trip to zero and when you next fill up, note how many miles you did and how much it takes to refill back up.

That way you know exactely how many litres you used and how many miles you got. :)

5. 8vDUB Forum Member

little update for abit of help. i know i got a little engine but shouldnt it be pokey at low revs? it feels boggy when pulling away and sometimes slightly hesitant, both intermittant.
    also sometimes when accelerating through third and i change to forth it drops in about 300rpm i have no power then it picks up. again, not all the time.
    should i try changing the cts as i had probloms with them on my mk4 golf, or could it be something else?
    iv done 250 miles and used about 45 worth of petrol. all sorts of driving including motorway and around town.
    bought this car to save some money but i dont think this is as it should be really. it seems ok if i get the revs up but dont want to drive it like this, esiest way to explain it is it feels like my mk2 golf with the 282 cam, a peugeot 106 i had was never like that, and i got 300 miles of 30 in that with 16inch wheels and a boot full of ice.

HELLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!