1/2" drive Impact Wrench

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mikey, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Has anyone any experience of this type of Impact Wrench:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-VOLT-CORDLESS-IMPACT-WRENCH-1-2-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ280055708387QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30900QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I know they won't be half as good as the Snap on ones, but then again they're not 350!

Just thought something like this would be handy for doing odd jobs on the car like changing the front suspension etc. I won't be using it every day so obviously the price appeals. Is the torque any good though? Would they loosen a wheelbolt or a strut top nut?

Any advice on what others to look at? I've seen good reports about the Sealey 19v ones too but then they're at least 150+
    Cheers
    Mike

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You get what you pay for tbh. What use is a wheel gun that won't crack off wheelnuts etc?

I've got a Sealey CP3002 - only criticism I can level at it is it doesn't have a trigger variable speed.

Bought it, then saw the Seat Cupra championship mechanics using them - when an entire team looked after all the cars 2-3 yrs ago. No finer rubber stamping than that tbh.

3. Mikey Forum Member

That's my main concern Chris. Lots of the cheaper ones give a high torque rating on paper, comparable to the Sealey, but in reality I'm not sure if they'd struggle or not. It's good to hear of a recommendation tho'

The CP3002 has the reversible battery does it for easier access? (if I remember correctly the 3001 has a similar spec but without this feature)

Just found this product test on the Auto Express site
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/producttests/65754/impact_wrenches_cordless.html
    The Sealey didn't do too well here though?!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Reversible battery is a feature that I've never been able to see the advantage.

Interesting review - bang up to date also (March 2006) - so yep, use the review to buy. I bought mine in Feb 2003, so time's moved on. At the time it seemed to be the most powerful.

Lack of duplicate battery is a minor thing for hobby use (on this model anyway - I can't use them up that quick), though I bought mine from JustOffBase and they supplied 2 batteries, one supposedly free.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  5. Admin Guest

for 50 if you don't use it day in day out and don't abuse it it will probably last you.

they are handy for those little jobs such as doing a complete wheel change, we used them in the race team then some one would torque em up properly.