1.3 in a 1.6

Discussion in '8-valve' started by matt~driver, May 2, 2009.

1. matt~driver Forum Member

Hi im thinking of doing some endurance rallying in my mk2 golf only problem is its a 1.6 and the cc limit is 1.4 so I was thinking could I take the 1.6 out and plonk a 1.3 in the 1.3 would be running of the original carb and are the 1.3 and 1.6 gear boxes the same

2. erantomer Forum Member

of course you can do it, just take into account that you'll need to replace the gearbox and the exhaust (at least the downpipe).

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

run the 1.3 on bike carbs and get it revving to 10k, saw it in PVW a while back and it was rapid.

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

The 1.3 is a totally different engine to a 1.6, just take a look under the bonnet of a 1.3, polo, etc and you'll see the difference in the 1.3 X-flow setup. It's more involved than just a straight engine swap. A 2.0 or 16v swap would be simpler:lol:

5. theboymike Forum Junkie

As Mark says, the 1.3 is a small block engine and has different mounts, gearbox and gear linkage to the big block 1.6, so all this would need to be swapped as well..